Forgot to use protafloc - what to do?

BeerWolf

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Was in a hurry yesterday and forgot to add protafloc during boil. Any advice what to do now, during fermentation?

Best
BW

Gelatin, if you really prefer a chemical solution, or just cold crash for awhile.

Gelatin, if you really prefer a chemical solution, or just cold crash for awhile.
Thanks, may try it, was a bit concerned with the two being more complentary than substitutes.
BW

Yep I think your ship has sailed on the seaweed finnings. I was thinking you could boil up a tab in water let cool then pitch that onto fermentor but dont think thatd work. What beer you making you wont miss it in a pale ale anyways.

Two choices: Fine before packaging or do nothing. As mentioned above, the ship has sailed on kettle finings. Let the beer finish, chill it in the carboy to as close to freezing as possible, then add finings. Gelatin works, isinglass works, Super-Kleer (a two-stage fining agent) works.... They'll help. Worst case, do nothing. You'll likely get hazy beer but it is purely a cosmetic flaw, won't affect flavor at all.

Protafloc is like whirlfloc?

Two choices: Fine before packaging or do nothing. As mentioned above, the ship has sailed on kettle finings. Let the beer finish, chill it in the carboy to as close to freezing as possible, then add finings. Gelatin works, isinglass works, Super-Kleer (a two-stage fining agent) works.... They'll help. Worst case, do nothing. You'll likely get hazy beer but it is purely a cosmetic flaw, won't affect flavor at all.
Thaks guys,

This will be an IPA. When done, I'll probably cold crash it for a few days and then decide on gelatin (and the other choices). A god lesson. Thanks.

An ipa is anticipated to be cloudy, and slightly thick, if your trying to make it clear i think cold crashing is your best option at this time, to achieve a dryer less thick mouthfeel you will have to adjust your mash temperature.

Cold crash it
Package it
Drink it

Unless it is a style that "Has" to be clear then don't stress over the small stuff.
Anymore, the only beer I add anything for clearing is my Irish Red Ale, because I chase the color....

Back