Forgot to lager my lager

raiderrob67

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I just bottled a batch of Mexican Cerveza and then I found out I should have transferred to a secondary and laagered it. I used the SF Lager yeast and fermented for 14 days at 61F. the sample I took tasted great, no apple or butter flavors. did I screw this up? am I going to end up with bottle bombs due to so much yeast still in suspension or am I just not going to get good beer?

if possible you can always cold crash in a fridge or freezer just above freezing to drop the yeast down, if it taste good it should be fine although I like 50 for lagering

If it tasted good when you pulled your sample, you're okay. You can still lager it - if your fermentation temps were low enough (in the 50's), you shouldn't get an estery beer and the warmer fermentation temps should take care of the diacetyl.

after its carbonated, leave the bottles in the fridge for a few weeks. it will lager each bottle individually instead of all the beer at once.

San Fran lager yeast doesn't absolutely need a lager period, but the beer won't be as clean as most lagers, but a little more ale like. should still taste good though.

Back