forced carbonation

Rydnfree

Trial Member
Reaction score
I just tried to force carbonate a pilsner and an ale. My beer temp was between 33° and 35° I set my psi at 11 and let it carbonate for 8 days. When I tapped the kegs there was slight carbonation but no where near what it should be. This has happened before and I cant figure it out. Any ideas folks?

8 days might be a bit short, could take up to 2 weeks to get fully carbonated at only 11 psi. Force carbonation usually happens at a much higher regulator setting, like 20. People then dial it back. I don't personally do it that way, so maybe others can chime in here.

I sounds like something is wrong to me. I keep my beer at 38 and set my regulator at 12-13 when I force carbonate. After a week I hook up the liquid out line and the beer is usually only slightly under carbonated and fine within a day or two. I would check for leaks.

One time I did hook up the liquid out line when I first hooked the beer up to CO2 and the beer that was in the line never really carbonated, but after a few pours it got better.

bilhelm96 said:
I sounds like something is wrong to me. I keep my beer at 38 and set my regulator at 12-13 when I force carbonate. After a week I hook up the liquid out line and the beer is usually only slightly under carbonated and fine within a day or two. I would check for leaks.

One time I did hook up the liquid out line when I first hooked the beer up to CO2 and the beer that was in the line never really carbonated, but after a few pours it got better.

What do you turn your regulator back down to?

I usually set it and forget it. I have 5ft of 3/16in beer line in my kegerator so 12 is about right for serving. I make minor adjustments if needed.

I thought maybe i had the lines backwards at first but after checking found they were correct. i have about 41/5 to 5 feet of beer line, dispensing isn't really an issue it just doesn't seem to carbonate.maybe my regulator is off and needs recalibration. Thanks for the help, I'll be interested in hearing if anyone else has any ideas what might be wrong.

Wait another week and see. If the beer is completely flat, then the regulator would be a good thing to check. They can go bad.

I set regulator at 11-13, hook up, bleed air off beer a few times so only CO2 is left on top of keg, then shake the fool out of it about 200 times. Close the frig ,wait at least 48 hrs and it is usually fully carbonated. Are you cold crashing for at least 24hrs before kegging?

I usually leave the keg at 33 to 35 for a couple days before adding co2. I've tried shaking it but it almost always came out to carbonated.

Head First said:
I set regulator at 11-13, hook up, bleed air off beer a few times so only CO2 is left on top of keg, then shake the fool out of it about 200 times. Close the frig ,wait at least 48 hrs and it is usually fully carbonated. Are you cold crashing for at least 24hrs before kegging?

Back