Force Carbonating PET Bottles

Sandy Feet

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting
I got one of those
https://www.kegland.com.au/products/pco-1881-carbonation-cap-tee-piece
But I haven't used it yet, because I thought I had run out of CO2.
No idea how long it would take, but I would like to know
(I got this one as well, https://www.kegland.com.au/products/gas-free-ball-lock-line-cleaning-kit-pet-party-pump-combo, I was thinking of natural carbing and serving with it. Then I thought: a one litre bottle is only 3 glasses, may as well just open up the bottle and pour)

As long as you don't exceed the pressure of the bottle, it will work. You really only need 12-15psi to carb. Just takes longer

Is it something that can be done quickly to take to a brewery or something that needs to be thought out and done a day or two in advance? I tried one very quickly that didn't work out so well.
I know the keg takes some time, but does the little PET bottle take time too?
My Corny keg takes all the vertical room in my refrigerator. I don't have enough room to unhook the CO2, so I actually have to take it out along with the light bulb to take the quick connect off. I was hoping after going through all that I could get something to work to transport.

Last edited:
I think it will be similar.
The beer needs to take up the CO2.
But I may be wrong ;)
But high pressure (30 psi) and shaking the lot would be easier than with a keg

Is it something that can be done quickly to take to a brewery or something that needs to be thought out and done a day or two in advance? I tried one very quickly that didn't work out so well.
I know the keg takes some time, but does the little PET bottle take time too?
My Corny keg takes all the vertical room in my refrigerator. I don't have enough room to unhook the CO2, so I actually have to take it out along with the light bulb to take the quick connect off. I was hoping after going through all that I could get something to work to transport.
The speed at which the co2 absorbs is dependent on surface area, time and temp. I carb 5gal @ 30psi in 2 days. I would suspect that less than 1 gallon wouldn't take even a day.

Cold liquid (37-ish) and higher pressure (30-40 psi). Leaving it still, it will carb in 24-36 hours. Leave the gas on or it won't!
Shaking the bottle will allow it to carb in 12 hours or less. Best to shake well at the start, then rouse it every hour or two.

Amazon.com: FERRODAY Stainless Steel Carbonation Cap Forced Carbonation PET Bottle Filling 5/16 Barb CO2 Coupling to Carbonate Soda Beer Stainless Steel PET Bottle Carbonation Cap + O-ring + Gasket: Home & Kitchen
I bought a cheap toy a month or two ago (above) as I am trying to find way to share kegged beer that isn't too costly. How long do y'all think it would take to force carbonate a 20oz PET bottle with one of those caps?
Yup they work a treat 30psi shake the crap outta it cold

If you use a soda (pop) bottle with this you can throw 25 - 30 psi, shake it, keep the CO2 on it, repeat. In 15 min you have carbed beer. I use these on my pre-kegged samples all the time. The soda bottles can take a lot of pressure believe it or not.

If you use a soda (pop) bottle with this you can throw 25 - 30 psi, shake it, keep the CO2 on it, repeat. In 15 min you have carbed beer. I use these on my pre-kegged samples all the time. The soda bottles can take a lot of pressure believe it or not.
Thanks y'all. This beer is starting to get really good, and I wanted to share before I drank it all. These Saisons take time to get dialed in, but they get damn tasty after 6 or 8 weeks. Drinking this beer after a funkyish sour Watermellon Grisette at a brewery earlier is even more fun on the taste buds.

Did you succeed @Sandy Feet?
I might just try 1 bottle today if I got excess beer (kegging today)

I'm going to wait. I don't even have enough room to get my hand between the quick connect and the inside top of the refrigerator. It is a PITA as I have to remove the keg from the fridge, take off the quick connects, put the CO2 on the bottle, get everything mixed up in the keg when the beer is just about perfect right now. Let me know how it works out.

No worries
1 litre pet on the go
5 min at 30 psi, shake, another 5 min and shake and now to the fridge.
Note that this beer was not cold.
I'll check pressure tomorrow

I used 3 lbs of blueberries and 2 lbs of wheat in this beer. I thought nothing was going to clear this thing up naturally, but I noticed it start to get clearer with time. Last night, it was beautiful.. considering the ingredients and tasted wonderful. I'm not screwing with anything or touching it at this point LOL. I'm enjoying this one until she kicks.

No worries
1 litre pet on the go
5 min at 30 psi, shake, another 5 min and shake and now to the fridge.
Note that this beer was not cold.
I'll check pressure tomorrow
Did a little top up in the evening.
This morning it's at 5.3 psi, so topped up, shook and put back to fridge.
Note that my oxebar keg is attached and at 30 psi, so these top up's are pretty simple

Doing it cold = quicker co2 absorbtion into the beer.

The colder the better

I know,
Standard problem for me.
New method is to carbonate at night. Keg/bottle in fridge during day time.
Works well now it's winter here

Back