Foaming serving pressure

Stolen from another site......

At the tap end of our balanced keg system we want a slight positive pressure to push the beer out, but not enough to foam. Generally this would be between less than 1 psi. So let’s target a tap end pressure of 1 psi. The math from here is pretty easy to calculate the balanced line length (L):

• L = (keg_pressure – 1 psi) / Resistance
So starting with our example of 12 psi keg pressure, and some typical 3/16″ vinyl keg tubing (which loses 3 lb/ft) we get L= (12-1)/3 which is 3.66 feet. So a 12 psi kegging system would provide 1 psi of pressure at the tap with 3.66 feet of tubing.

Note that some authors leave out the 1 psi tap pressure (i.e. use zero tap pressure) and simplify the equation to L= (keg_pressure/Resistance) which makes the math even easier (the simplified equation would give you 4 feet of tubing vs 3.66 ft). The truth is that you can target anywhere between zero and 1 psi at the tap and still be in balance – the difference is relatively small, though a slight positive keg pressure will give you a better flow rate.

The four foot example with 3/16″ ID vinyl is great if we only have a few feet to go (i.e. in a fridge) but what if one needs to go further? A simple switch to 1/4″ ID vinyl tubing will get us there – looking at the same 12 psi keg system we get: L = (12-1)/0.85 = 12.9 feet. So with the larger tubing we can deliver our beer to just under 13 feet. For other applications we can consider polyethylene or stainless. However if going a long distance one needs to also consider refrigeration – as you don’t want a large volume of warm beer in the lines.

Beer Line Length and Elevation
Changes in elevation also come into play if you design a more complex serving system. The rule of thumb is that your beer loses 0.5 psi/foot of elevation gain. So if your tap is 1 foot higher than the keg it loses 0.5 psi, and conversely if it is lower than the keg it will gain 0.5 psi per foot of elevation.

So if we roll this into our equation, we get the following for a given height (Height – in feet) of the tap above the keg itself:

• L = (keg_pressure – 1 – (Height/2)) / Resistance
So lets go back to our original example of a 12 psi keg pressure, 3/16″ ID vinyl tubing and this time put the tap 2 feet above the keg itself. We get L=(12-1-(2/2))/3 which is 10/3 or a line length of 3.33 feet.
Same site I read.

OK, so noon passed, and the keg was set to 10 psi early yesterday (more than 24 hours ago). With no pressure change, I got 3/4 foam. Ugh.

Dropped the pressure to almost zero ... and got a decent pour. :D Pulled the release valve until is almost stopped hissing. 3/4 beer, a nice head, but kinda slow. Better, as good as I need I guess. More experiments to come.

@Frankenbrewer ahh, it's an all barley brew.

OK, so noon passed, and the keg was set to 10 psi early yesterday (more than 24 hours ago). With no pressure change, I got 3/4 foam. Ugh.

Dropped the pressure to almost zero ... and got a decent pour. :D Pulled the release valve until is almost stopped hissing. 3/4 beer, a nice head, but kinda slow. Better, as good as I need I guess. More experiments to come.

Yeah the only problem here is that you'll end up with flat beer by the time you sort your foaming issue out lol:D.
Maybe you gotta get longer beer lines don.
Also I used to run a picnic tap it was a PITA on the pour. now it might be worth investing in a Nukatap or Intertap better flow in the tap housing which will provide a satisfying pour.

I run 4.5m of 4mm ID beer line plenty of resistance but I find 12psi is about my limit of keg pressure before I enter foaming issues.

@Trialben Ya, I am thinking it is time to graduate to real taps. I mean, I just want a beer dammit! One stinkin' glass with dinner fer instance.

So instead I use a pitcher, pull a glass' worth and a half gallon of foam, and drink it. :mad:

I guess this recipe is just foamier than usual.

Have you checked the temp of the beer in the pitcher/glass once it's poured? I'm curious what the difference is from your fridge temp

@Trialben Ya, I am thinking it is time to graduate to real taps. I mean, I just want a beer dammit! One stinkin' glass with dinner fer instance.

So instead I use a pitcher, pull a glass' worth and a half gallon of foam, and drink it. :mad:

I guess this recipe is just foamier than usual.
Your beer line is too short. Mine are all 7'+. Buy a long length of 3/16" ID and try that. Ever since I started using 6' or more beer line (2 of my 5 are 10' long) I rarely have an issue - when I do it is over-carbonation.

Yup if I confer my beer line to feet that's like 13 plus foot of 4mm I'd line.
@Donoroto I run a picnic tap for over a year in my old keggerator been down that road myself.

I put it this way a new Nukatap or intertap perlic whatever the cost is justified your gunna use it near every day :D

Indeed. I promise to use it every day...

I have 10' of 3/16" line, I'll make up a picnic tap with it and see what happens. Tomorrow. I'll let you know.

I have 10' of 3/16" line, I'll make up a picnic tap with it and see what happens. Tomorrow. I'll let you know.
All in the name of Science I mean beer;);).

It Don't have is be fancy. I did this until I Get the wood work Done. :D
20210729_190156.jpg

Last edited:
If you want to reduce the existing carbonation significantly from a keg, that takes a lot of time and a lot of purging. You need to get all the extra CO2 out of the keg, so just disconnect the gas and purge, wait for more CO2 to exit the beverage, purge, repeat... (maybe try shaking? never tried that myself... might be a disaster...)

I'm using 4-5' of 1/8" ID line with party taps, works great, have never had to reduce the serving pressure below the carbonation pressure.

With thicker line the required length increases something like exponentially.

Did not get a chance to hook up my length of tubing, will do that tomorrow during Brew time.

If you want to reduce the existing carbonation significantly from a keg, that takes a lot of time and a lot of purging. You need to get all the extra CO2 out of the keg, so just disconnect the gas and purge, wait for more CO2 to exit the beverage, purge, repeat... (maybe try shaking? never tried that myself... might be a disaster...)

I'm using 4-5' of 1/8" ID line with party taps, works great, have never had to reduce the serving pressure below the carbonation pressure.

With thicker line the required length increases something like exponentially.
I assume that when you say "thicker" you mean larger inside diameter, and yes that is correct.

If the longer length does not make an immediate difference, you may be over carbonated. If you are going to buy a tap, get a good one. You don't need to break the bank, a basic intertap is what I have. The other thing to consider is shank length. Go fairly long, the theory is that having more shank inside the fridge/keeper, the cooler the shank and tap will be. Let is know how things work out buddy.

Back