Flying with homebrew?

SabreSteve

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So my family is going on a vacation this July (supposed to be last July) to Turks and Caicos. My brother lives in Texas and he doesn't get back home often and we don't get down there a lot. He's never had any of my homebrew although we've talked about it. I don't know if anyone has flown with anything domestically in their checked baggage and how that's worked. I also know flying internationally will probably make it more complicated just wondering if anyone knows anything. I was wondering if I got some Coca Cola PET bottles and bottled some of my dunkleweizen in them if it'd be easier to pass them through? I'm just wondering if it's reasonable to try and do this. I'm not trying to go to jail over a 6 pack. I'd also be disappointed to lose several bottles of my brew but I'd live. What do you do think?

Having flown internationally a lot, the only question is what Turks & Caicos allows visitors to bring in duty free. Above that, you must declare it and pay tax (usually a few dollars). But checked luggage only -strictly forbidden in carry on.

Do some internet research, you will likely find 2-3 liters is no problem.

Definitely not in your checked luggage, they will not let you through security with that!

I have brought bottles of whiskey, and unusual cans of beer back in checked luggage flying internationally, I don't see why you couldn't do that on a domestic flight.

domestically should be OK in checked bags but I would check with TSA for international. As for PET v glass and the effect of the air pressure, I dunno which would work better given the internal pressure with carbination . Driving to Canada I kept hearing my plastic water bottle crackle every time I changed attitude...need someone smarter than me on that one but I think it's something to account for.

I have flown with homebrew in checked before. I usually put it in ziplocks just in case it opens. But have never have an issue

I had a 500 ml CAN of dark hefeweitzen broken in my suitcase at Heathrow once, many years ago. How they managed to crack a can, I honor their skills. Suitcase still smells of beer...

So if I'm reading this right it would qualify under the wine category and I could bring in roughly 5 bottles with my math?
Screenshot_20210531-090650.jpg

Yep, 2 liters is 5 bottles. Per adult!

Even if you have to pay duty, it's under $12 (US) per gallon.

Yep, 2 liters is 5 bottles. Per adult!

Even if you have to pay duty, it's under $12 (US) per gallon.
So if I'm flying with my wife I could put a 6 pack in my suitcase?

Am I going to have any problems with the bottles not being labeled as to their content or ABV you think?

So if I'm flying with my wife I could put a 6 pack in my suitcase?

Am I going to have any problems with the bottles not being labeled as to their content or ABV you think?
Yes, 5 bottles per person. No matter which suitcase they are in.

Not likely to have troubles. You might label them "beer" to be safe, but otherwise it is trivial to show they have less than 40% alcohol. Any label will do.

Like most countries, who made the drink is irrelevant. I bring beer back from Europe all the time (not recently, but, well, you know...)

Most likely they won't even give you a second glance. Canada isn't a high-risk country. Ok, maybe for maple syrup and Tim Horton's donuts, but...

Back