floculation tablets

Brewer #61642

Trial Member
Reaction score
Last week,I brewed a recipe for California Common and on the advice from my local supplier ,I added one floc tablet into my wort 15 minutes from the end of my boil. After I chilled the wort to 70 degrees and went to transfer the wort to my Primary Bucket from my brew pot I observed a lot of material floating around. I used my siphon tube to transfer the wort but when the wort dropped down to six inches from the bottom I had to stop because I started getting gunk in the siphon tube.I lost about a gallon of wort.I have never used a floc tablet before.What happened? Did the tablet cause my Problem?

Can't speak to the tablet specifically, but its probably fine.
I'll be the first to chime in with what I do, but you're going to hear a few different answers from people.
I don't use any kind of fining in the boil, and just dump it into the fermentor. It's easier for me and helps to aerate it. I've read that at least some true may actually be good for the yeast.
I'll generally transfer to a secondary as well. For me, it's always clearer when I do this.
Whenever transferring, I move the bucket to a table and let it sit at least 24 hours to resettle things before I siphon

And you'll always leave some at the bottom of the bucket when You siphon, maybe 3/4 to and inch.

Long story short, it's probably fine

I'm betting the material was the coagulated protein from the barley. It's usually settles to the bottom of the kettle though I'm curious why you had so much.

you had more break material because of the tablet. It helped the proteins clump together and come out of solution. If you wait long enough, it will settle to the bottom and you can get more wort out without getting the clumps. Although don't worry if you get some in, the yeast like having some of it. It's good to remove most of it, but studies indicate complete removal will hinder the yeast, they need a bit of the proteins for building new cells.
I dump everything in my fermenter, and my beer comes out fine, but its possible it could be better if I did remove some of it.

Were you bagging your hops or using whole hops? I always use Whirlfloc in my boils and have never had the problem of my siphon clogging.

Back