Flat Beer

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by twooten4, Apr 30, 2019.

1. twooten4

twooten4 New Member

I brewed a Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout and bottled it over a month ago. The beer has a good flavor but there is no carbonation. Is there anything I can do to help with that or are these pretty much shot??

2. sbaclimber

sbaclimber Well-Known Member

That sounds pretty high gravity. If you are lucky, and your beer matures like mine, after 2-3 months you might have "some" carbonation. I prime for pretty low carbonation (I like the more english style) and tend to have next to nothing after 3-4 weeks. By month 2-3, a bit more CO2 will be present.
    That being said, I brew mostly standard gravity brews. Considerably higher gravity may well have an other (negative?) affect.

twooten4 likes this.
  3. twooten4

twooten4 New Member

I figured I needed to give it some more time and try it out then. Thanks for the help!

4. Drewfus1

Drewfus1 Member

Try inverting the bottles for a second or two so some of the sediment on the bottom gets re-suspended. Also, make sure they are stored in a warm location. 20C or 68F if possible.

twooten4 likes this.
  5. twooten4

twooten4 New Member

How long would you recommend inverting them for? Also, after doing so how long until you refrigerate and drink?

6. Drewfus1

Drewfus1 Member

Just tip them for a couple seconds. The air space moving to the bottom and back will just help stir up sediment from the bottom which will hopefully re-suspend some yeast.

twooten4 likes this.