Flaked Oats

jmac67%

Premium Member
Reaction score
When adding flaked oats or wheat to the grain bill do you grind with the others or leave them.

Some brewers will only do a mash cap with flaked adjuncts since they are often gooey and may stuck up your sparge if you're not putting rice hulls in it.

Listening to a couple of grain suppliers in a podcast on adjuncts the other week. They said mill flaked grains. There's a few scenarios where it helps and none where it hurts. Not that they said more than that.

I haven't previously, but probably will in future. The rest of the knowledge they dumped was pretty comprehensive.

For what it's worth, I started grinding some of my flaked grains in my brewing.
I'll suggest adding additional rice hulls in your mash, but I like the end result.
I've brewed beers with 50% flaked product in the with good results.
I did stick one mash, but that was quickly remedied.

My brew yesterday had 200g flaked wheat I accidentally added this weight to the mill bucket.
After I saw them I thought oh no I needed to keep them separate.
They got milled. I added some rice hulls to help the mash out.

I personally don't think it matters only thing might be lautering with flow through the mash bed.

The amelayse enzymes will have better access to the starche maybe I don't think it matters.

What sort of flavour do oats add to beer?
I assume milling and mashing them will be absolutely fine with biab

For me they don’t add flavor, but increase the haziness of my NEIPA’s and add a silky mouthfeel to my stouts. For oats to add flavor you can toast them to a golden brown, which should add a nutty/biscuity flavor. I’ve tried it once, but don’t think I toasted them long enough.

No problem milling with BIAB.

For me they don’t add flavor, but increase the haziness of my NEIPA’s and add a silky mouthfeel to my stouts. For oats to add flavor you can toast them to a golden brown, which should add a nutty/biscuity flavor. I’ve tried it once, but don’t think I toasted them long enough.

I'm going to use a 10.5 Anvil Foundry, no bag.

I have not milled any flaked adjuncts but I'm going to try it to see if there is any difference.

I have brewed the same NEIPA over 10-15 times, at first I just tossed in the flakes, after a few batches I ran the flakes in a blender. I found no difference, so now I just toss them in with the rest of the grain bill. They go through the grinder but because they are flakes the grinding dose little.

My LHBS has a sign in their grain room not to mill any flaked grains. The only reason is that it has the potential to gum up the rollers. No beer related impact.

I have not milled any flaked adjuncts but I'm going to try it to see if there is any difference.

Won't be a difference- I always mill mine with the grain because I'm lazy. Unless I forget to get them out of the cupboard, and then I don't mill.

this .. ."silky mouthfeel "

Back