Flake Maze in a Pale Ale

Conservidave

Trial Member
Reaction score
So, on a whim i added a pound of flaked maze to my last batch of Pale. What can i expect to experience
from this addition?
One thing i did notice is that after i aerated and before pitching the yeast the wert seemed very viscous and "soupy" and pretty tasty, hopefully the beer is too!

Thanks,
Dave

Interesting, this is going to really be a "lite" Ale.
i guess i was hoping for some sweet corn like flavors too. I'll report in a few weeks!

Thanks,
Dave

Conservidave said:
Interesting, this is going to really be a "lite" Ale.
i guess i was hoping for some sweet corn like flavors too. I'll report in a few weeks!

Will be anxious for results. I have a pound in pantry I also will be using this spring for a lite one, I like the sweetness of a little honey malt. Wonder if maze will be a corny sweet? :lol:

Well it's all done and in the bottle's now. After sampling the brew i was pleasantly suprised to detect a faint sweetness i was hoping to get from the flaked maze, bitterness was there but not punchy or harsh. Only time will tell if my "Corny Sweetness" will shine through on this one.
The Brew
10lb Briess 2 row
1lb Caramel 20L
1lb Flaked Maze
.5lb Vienna
1OZ NB 60min
1OZ NB 30min
1OZ NB 10 min
US-05 Yeast
OG 1.056
FG 1.005
5OZ Corn Sugar/priming
2 Weeks in the fermenter then bottled.
In hind sight, i should have went to the secondary for at least a week to help clarify or used the Nottingham yeast, also should have backed off the hops a bit for better balance.
The origional style i was shooting for was a California Common.... however, when i went to purchase the yeast i discovered the last Cali Common smack pack already had 1 foot (or both) in the grave (5mo.old) so i had to punt.
Better planning is the lesson of the day but we still had fun and i'll report back when were pouring pints!

You can get away with using more than just 1 pound of flaked corn. Up it to 1.5 or even 2 pounds next time if it doesn't have the flavor you are after.

Flaked Maze is one of my favorite adjuncts. I've put it in pale ale's, bitter's,stout's but it works best in cream ale's

Hammer1, have you ever seen a thick, yellowish pad of goop on top of the beer in the fermenter?
This was the first time i have ever seen this and the first time i've used the Maze. Im beginning to worry
that i had some wild yeast or infection in this beer.

2 weeks at 62 to 64 degrees. i bottled sunday and didnt think much about it other than wow! thats different. I figured it was some weird starchy sloughing byproduct from the Maze.

There is no telling what kind of weirdness was floating around there. Bottom line if it tastes good than it was probably nothing.

After a week in the bottle this little brew is turning out pretty good. Very crisp and pale with a distinctive
hop bite and good head retention. Definately more like an APA than a cream ale but very nice indeed. Any corn flavoring had all but faded away in the bitterness but i should have known that anyway. The Vanilla cream recipe is on deck for the next batch. Cheers!

Conservidave said:
Any corn flavoring had all but faded away in the bitterness but i should have known that anyway. Cheers!
Sounds like a yardwork thirst quencher! IOW corn will do about the same thing as rice. Makes sense. Possibly a little more mouthfeel.

Head First said:
Sounds like a yardwork thirst quencher!

This one will be a Super Bowl thirst quencher. The next one will get more maze, a little rice and some 6 row!

Back