First Time Making a Starter

Thankfully, no. You are not even risking melting the plastic covering the bar... ;)
Even you had an autoclave, you are not de-magnetizing any magnets.

Cool...(all puns intended) ...but I guess 8 grade science class was wrong...for whatever reason what I recall is that heat and sudden physical shock could have a negative..(all puns intended again) .. affect magnets...hmmm...have to go check my memory.

OK..so next question..ya most likely have figured out that I'm making a starter today and I went to get the DME I had left over from one of the first batches I made a couple years ago and opened the bag to some surprise. Note what looks like liquid in a plastic bag at the top of the bag and some chunky blocks of DME amongst the powder at the bottom of the bag. The looks wet stuff is totally dry and the blocks are crumbling To my amazement, the high humidity of south central Pennsylvania summers must have got into what I thought was a dry plastic container. So the next question is if this stuff is still suitable for starter? It dissolved perfectly and smells like really sweet wort and boiled over like wort. Whatdayathinkfolks?

20200229_154409.jpeg

Cool...(all puns intended) ...but I guess 8 grade science class was wrong...for whatever reason what I recall is that heat and sudden physical shock could have a negative..(all puns intended again) .. affect magnets...hmmm...have to go check my memory.

OK..so next question..ya most likely have figured out that I'm making a starter today and I went to get the DME I had left over from one of the first batches I made a couple years ago and opened the bag to some surprise. Note what looks like liquid in a plastic bag at the top of the bag and some chunky blocks of DME amongst the powder at the bottom of the bag. The looks wet stuff is totally dry and the blocks are crumbling To my amazement, the high humidity of south central Pennsylvania summers must have got into what I thought was a dry plastic container. So the next question is if this stuff is still suitable for starter? It dissolved perfectly and smells like really sweet wort and boiled over like wort. Whatdayathinkfolks?

View attachment 8908
Totally fine boil her good cool her good and let them yeast have their way in the wort.

Another trick collect wort on brew day for next starter batch:)

So let's dredge up this old string for a silly question.....how do you sterilize your stir bar? I would think that boiling is common but aren't you killing the magnetic qualities of the bar at that point??
I drop it into the near-boiling wort. And no, bo

Makes sense I boil mine in the wort each and every time bar still spin like a beauty

I toss the stir bar in the starter wort before I boil it. Can't see an extra step when you're already doing a process that will serve the purpose.

Not too sure about the heat but I found my stir bar the other day when i started the garbage disposer.. it got beat up real hard and it still is magnetic...

I did see what appeared to be rust streaks on a stir bar after using it for several years. It still spun just fine, but I replaced it thinking that the plastic coating had developed some cracks. As Bubba implied, it ain't easy to change the molecular alignment of most magnets.

Magnets will start to lose their magnetic properties when heated to their Curie point. For a neodymium magnet, this is close to 600 F. For an iron magnet, it is over 1000 F.

Thank you Bubba for putting faith back in my memory but that's a much higher level of heat than I thought it was!

You wonder how the magnetic field is maintained around the earth with this high heat inside the earth must be an field around the surface of Earth only..:rolleyes:

Back