First time brewing

Assuming there's enough sugar for the yeast, additional time will help it to fully carb. Chilling the bottle well before serving will also help to get the co2 in solution.
And time will definitely mellow and change the beer. Yet it again in a week or 2 and I guarantee it'll be different

I've been doubting that 2 carbonation drops for 750ml bottle is enough sugar. I'm definitely planning to prime in the bottling bucket next time.

I've never used those so I'm not sure if that's enough or not, but I can't imagine that they are cheaper or carb any better than regular table sugar. Easier, sure

750 ml is just about 2 12 oz beers, and I think it's one drop per beer? I think you did it right, fwiw

I've never used those so I'm not sure if that's enough or not, but I can't imagine that they are cheaper or carb any better than regular table sugar. Easier, sure
I use them on very small batches. They don't do anything different than measuring the proper amount of table sugar, boiling it for ten minutes in a couple of cups (250ml) water and adding it to the bottling bucket except for one thing: It takes longer for the beer to carbonate.

2 drops per 750 ml bottle is standard dose , carbonation will take longer than a week and the bottles become very firm to squeeze
Be careful - they come in two sizes! Two of the big ones for a 750 ml bottle sounds about right. That's about six of the little ones....

Alright then, didn't know carbonation drops took longer than adding priming sugar. I used Cooper's standard drops, which they recommend at 1 drop for 12 OZ. It's been two weeks today. I'm thinking to put one in the fridge for a few days and try it again. (Last time, I only chilled the bottle for a few hours). I'm hoping head retention will be better.

Alright then, didn't know carbonation drops took longer than adding priming sugar. I used Cooper's standard drops, which they recommend at 1 drop for 12 OZ. It's been two weeks today. I'm thinking to put one in the fridge for a few days and try it again. (Last time, I only chilled the bottle for a few hours). I'm hoping head retention will be better.
It improves over time. That carbonation drops would take longer is logical: They have to dissolve! Give one a try and if it isn't carbed, wait another week.

I tried one after two weeks at 70 and 24 hours in the fridge. I was disappointed that head retention seemed worse this time around. Although the beer felt more carbonated than a week prior, the beer still went flat relatively quickly.

The ABV for this is 7.4% and the OG was 1.064. I'm wondering if this will need as much as 4-6 weeks to fully carb up. I'd appreciate any further thoughts for future reference, as this is a style that I would like to brew more of in the future. I just put another bottle in the fridge (3 weeks into conditioning). This time I'll let it cold condition for two weeks before trying it again.

The beet will absorb the co2 better into solution at the cold temperature. From kegging beer ive learned this. Co2 will more redily absorb into liquid at cooler temps lile 3-4 c.

If its fully carbed one week in the refrigerator will help absorb co2 and clear the beer some. Dont give up we all.get our ups and downs in brewing just learn take notes.

It coulf be something in your brew add wheat or carapils or 20 lovibond crystal malt. Mashing out around 71c for half hour does something for foam stability ive read. Sometimes i think its just hit and miss.

And to throw another variable in, there could be dish soap or other oily substance on your pint glasses which would help to get rid of head quicker

Yes, that...and keep in mind that you'll have a brew now and then that just doesn't behave the way you expect. I always tend to push the boil to fairly energetic levels knowing that I can make up volume with plain water and get back to my desired OG easier than under-boiling and needing to boost OG.

Just trying to find a solution to fix my first batch of all-grain brew. It has been fermenting for 4 weeks and gravity still at 1.025. Among the many mistakes I've made, I didn't allow for proper boil rate and the batch is significantly lower volume than expected. Should I just add plain water to drop the OG? Should I bottle is as is and take it on the chin as part of the learning process? Should I discard and start all over?

Cheers

Just trying to find a solution to fix my first batch of all-grain brew. It has been fermenting for 4 weeks and gravity still at 1.025. Among the many mistakes I've made, I didn't allow for proper boil rate and the batch is significantly lower volume than expected. Should I just add plain water to drop the OG? Should I bottle is as is and take it on the chin as part of the learning process? Should I discard and start all over?

Cheers
She mau be underdone atm jzs. Meaning yeast have probably dropped out of suspension and once bottled my referment in bottles andcause explosions.

Rouse them up give the fermentor a good swirl not shake:). Bring up temperature as best you can and give it another week.

Reactions: JzS
She mau be underdone atm jzs. Meaning yeast have probably dropped out of suspension and once bottled my referment in bottles andcause explosions.

Rouse them up give the fermentor a good swirl not shake:). Bring up temperature as best you can and give it another week.

Thanks for the reply Trialben. It started fermenting around 18ºC and maybe a bit lower. The last 2.56 weeks has been up around 20-22ºC. Being 4 weeks already my concern is if I wait another week if it runs the risk of spoiling it.

Maybe just a bit anxious, since it is the first all-grain batch.

Thanks for the reply Trialben. It started fermenting around 18ºC and maybe a bit lower. The last 2.56 weeks has been up around 20-22ºC. Being 4 weeks already my concern is if I wait another week if it runs the risk of spoiling it.

Maybe just a bit anxious, since it is the first all-grain batch.

What yeast did you use?
What was your Original Gravity reading.
What was your Brewers friend predicted final gravity?
What is your yeasts expected Attenuation %
What is your current Attenuation for this batch?
Have you tasted a sample?

4 weeks seems a long time for an ale.
The brew shouldn't spoil but I understand your concern.
Only other option is to throw another yeast at it.
See what others on here think:).

What yeast did you use?
What was your Original Gravity reading.
What was your Brewers friend predicted final gravity?
What is your yeasts expected Attenuation %
What is your current Attenuation for this batch?
Have you tasted a sample?

4 weeks seems a long time for an ale.
The brew shouldn't spoil but I understand your concern.
Only other option is to throw another yeast at it.
See what others on here think:).

Yeast - Safale US-05
OG - didn't take But expected was 1.060
No predicted Final gravity provided.
I think expected attenuation for the Safale is 70-75% and mine is around 57%.
Haven't sampled yet.
Will try it and let you know.

Cheers once again

Sorry but to rule out the obvious there's a few easy ways to ensure you're reading the hydrometer correctly .
Please don't be offended
Is there enough liquid to float hydrometer ?
Have you allowed the sample to sit or poured it between 2 cups 10-15 times to degas ?
Have you checked hydrometer reads at 1.000 in plain water ?

Reactions: J A
Sorry but to rule out the obvious there's a few easy ways to ensure you're reading the hydrometer correctly .
Please don't be offended
Is there enough liquid to float hydrometer ?
Have you allowed the sample to sit or poured it between 2 cups 10-15 times to degas ?
Have you checked hydrometer reads at 1.000 in plain water ?

Thanks for the reply Mark. No offense taken.

I am checking the gravity with a refractometer. It has been calibrated with mineral water at 1.000

OK , there's your problem then
Refractometers are almost useless once alcohol is present , there are correction charts but from memory you need a precise OG to calculate the corrected SG

Great pre ferment though but use a simple hydrometer once fermentation has commenced

Back