First time all grain (sort of)

Brewer #116017

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have brewed many extract kits so far and a LHBS is doing something that sounded interesting. They are going to mash and lauter and provide 5 gallons of wort to take home and complete the boil. I thought this would be a good opportunity to try something different. This allows me to create my own recipe but not having done this before I’m beginning to wonder what I should add to the boil. The style is an APA and they it says I just need to add adjuncts, hops and yeast. Looking for advice on what type of adjunct to add and how much and when to add it to the wort. Thinking about using centennial, Citra and maybe chinook hops.

The only adjuncts you can add to the ketle are various forms of sugar, things such as flaked corn or rice would need to be added to the mash so that their starches can be converted to sugars. Assuming you are getting a wort in the proper gravity range ( say around 1.050 or so ) then there shouldn't be any need for adjuncts for an APA as this style can be made with a very simple grain bill. perhaps you could share the recipe so we can give you better feedback. As for hops, those three are pretty solid choices for an APA.

I have brewed many extract kits so far and a LHBS is doing something that sounded interesting. They are going to mash and lauter and provide 5 gallons of wort to take home and complete the boil. I thought this would be a good opportunity to try something different. This allows me to create my own recipe but not having done this before I’m beginning to wonder what I should add to the boil. The style is an APA and they it says I just need to add adjuncts, hops and yeast. Looking for advice on what type of adjunct to add and how much and when to add it to the wort. Thinking about using centennial, Citra and maybe chinook hops.
Why add adjuncts? You can steep grain and add the resulting wort, just like any extract batch. Hops, spices, anything you want to add, even a mini-mash. Treat it as a pre-diluted extract and have fun!

Back