First time all grain brewer, what's the trub at the bottom of my wort?

Lenard

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi
I'm a first time all grain brewer and noticed this fine floury trub at the bottom of my wort after sparge.
Is that protein or starches?
Grain bill:
0.8 kg Gladfield light pilsner malt
0.8 kg Gladfield wheat malt
0.25 kg Gladfield Toffee
0.25 kg Gladfield Rye
0.25 kg Rolled Oats (and yes, my wort is thick a syrup, no it didn't get stuck)
Mashed at 60-65C (150F)
Iodine test is inconclusive. Turns a very dark brown only after thorough stirring.
Crash cooled the wort to 1C (32F) as I ran out of time for the boil.
Suggestions?

Plan brewdays better so you can boil is best suggestion !
How much water did you mash in ?
You can get protein at end of the mash or it can be just small lumps of grain ....boil it and see what happens

I would absolutely recommend the same thing, emergencies arrive, it's understandable I would try to boil it and take very good notes about what happens finishing the boil at a later date and time, it's always good to push the envelope in the name of science, I would be very interested in the results.

Just boil it, it will be fine. The trub you're talking about is likely bits of grain that got through the sparge. It happens every time, likely you are just noticing it for the first time. Your beer should be fine.

Hi
I'm a first time all grain brewer and noticed this fine floury trub at the bottom of my wort after sparge.
Is that protein or starches?
Iodine test is inconclusive. Turns a very dark brown only after thorough stirring.
Crash cooled the wort to 1C (32F) as I ran out of time for the boil.
Suggestions?

Not sure how you are doing that iodine test. I place a very small amount of wort on a white plate and use an eye dropper to drip several drops of iodides tincure (idaphor works too) in spots on the wort. If the spots darken the wort there is still starch there to convert.

Brew day musta got away on you aye lenard. I've never herd of someone chilling their wort prior to the boil. You were almost there mate another hour and a half and she would have been bubbling away right now. Good luck

thanks guys, your prompt responses is most appreciated.
So, while I'm typing this it's boiling away quite nicely.

My main concern was starches. However, I got that sussed:
I measured pre-boil OG, did temperature corrections, re-measured the exact size of the pot, more high-school maths, fiddled with the receipe tool to adjust for volumes, and came to the conclusion that my pre-boil OG is 1.047 and brewhouse efficiency just over 80%. (wow!)

So, no need to worry about starches then.

The reasons I put the brew process on Ice because I needed more time. That was caused as I was very concerned about incomplete conversion (starch!), poor planning, a long call from a (paying!) customer, venison fillets I shot some weeks ago planned for dinner and a woman I love more than beer.

I still don't know what that flowery trub is though.
Cheers
Lenard

My 2c a good 60 min boil and some finnings @10 min will help your clarity too.

The flowery trub look like egg drop soup??? If so that's your cold break, it is what you want to whirlpool to the center of your boil kettle, a little in the fermentor is fine won't hurt anything, but you want to try to limit it if possible.

a little in the fermentor is fine won't hurt anything, but you want to try to limit it if possible.
You wouldn't want to see my fermenter!! I always end up with a good couple inches at the bottom. Some of my beers are quite clear, nevertheless.

I get some in mine, I have a trub screen in my boil kettle, it truly comes down to each individual system and the brewers process. That's what makes brewing so unique, fun, and creative.

Sounds like a bit of dust that's washed through from the mash. Wouldn't worry too much. How long did you mash for?

Back