First time 2 stage Fermentation with dry hop additions

GPA

Trial Member
Reaction score
Ok here it is
Probably a stupid question,but i am second guessing myself so I figured I'd toss it out to you.
Question 1 recipe calls for 4 day dry hop... primary is also 4-5 days ,then rack to secondary for 7 days.. do I dry hop during primary or secondary?
Question 2
Since it is still fermenting is the introduction of oxygen critical when transferring?
Thanks in advance for any guidance with this. Oh this is a semi mild IPA

you can dry hop in the primary, the best time is after the 5th day or so when the bubbling slows to about 1 per minute, this way oxygen is still leaving the vessel, the secondary is not really needed but if you do one its a small but not likely risk of oxidation just make sure no splashing or foam of any kind

Reactions: GPA
I secondary pretty much everything. Lots of people now say it's completely unnecessary. I agree with them. But it makes me feel better, so I do it.

Thanks for the feedback... can I trouble you guys with one more?
Running behind schedule boys have basketball practice.. is it ok to mash longer than 60-90 min it will be in a good tight cooler temperature held well the last time I used it. Or should I wait till I get back :confused:

It's not uncommon to mash overnight (I used to do it regularly). Only thing is you'll likely end up with less body and a drier brew because the amylase will have more time to break down the dextrins to maltose. If that's your goal you should be golden.

Thanks again balancing, watching the baby while wifey is out and practice while brewing can be challenging lol , need to get this in the primary today to stay on schedule ;) kind of a mix if what I have on hand and a new hops I want to try. Panning out to be IPA style, not my favorite, but the IBU is not that explosive and the APV should be mid 7% range in the citrusy side. We will see . I'll post the recipe if It don't turn out like S#%t

I predict tasty brew in any case.

And BTW, great avatar! A real cutie! :)

I predict tasty brew in any case.

And BTW, great avatar! A real cutie! :)
Thanks Thursty she is my little angel <3 ! thought 51 may be late to start over again but my lady is young, and with 4 boys we wanted a girl, anyway when she starts dating she will have 4 huge 30+ yr old bodyguards so her old man won't have to worry too much, she already has us all wrapped around her little finger :) keep you posted on the brew.

Yea she is a cutie daddy's little princess. Tell ya what GPA I've got no children and brew day can be hectic without them so I take my hat off to ya ;) I could easily see that 20min hop addition turning into a 10 min when child grabs your attention in the middle of the boil.

Reading through brulosophey blog and I know that fella has kids and some brews he has gone with what they were pointing at to put in his brew so maybe they just might steal you in the right direction :p.

Yea she is a cutie daddy's little princess. Tell ya what GPA I've got no children and brew day can be hectic without them so I take my hat off to ya ;) I could easily see that 20min hop addition turning into a 10 min when child grabs your attention in the middle of the boil.

Reading through brulosophey blog and I know that fella has kids and some brews he has gone with what they were pointing at to put in his brew so maybe they just might steal you in the right direction :p.
Thanks Ben , all in the prep I guess and a really loud timer lol
She likes helping throw the ingredients in we stand back so she misses sometimes hehe , I measure out everything in little cups for her ahead of time and she loves to smell it before she dumps it in
Future brewer in the making I think :rolleyes:. Neat idea about letting her pick the ingredients I'll have to try it

Ok the brewing went off without to much trouble,decided im going to just single stage this one , with this IPA I went with copious amounts of Citra and a new hops the brewing guru at the LHBS recommended called Mandarina Bavaria ,with very strong Tangerine and citrus flavor also added some peels at the very end of the boil.. all I can say right now is the smell coming out of the airlock I think I've died and gone to heaven lol

clementine IPA

American IPA
All Grain (5.00 gal) ABV: 7.03 %
OG: 1.071 SG FG: 1.018 SG
IBUs: 50.1 IBUs Color: 10.0 SRM

11 lb - Pale Malt (2 Row) US
Mash addition (80.0%) - 2.0 SRM

1 lb - Munich 10L (Briess)
Mash addition (7.3%) - 10.0 SRM

8.0 oz - Carafoam
Mash addition (3.6%) - 2.0 SRM

8.0 oz - Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
Mash addition (3.6%) - 60.0 SRM

12.0 oz - Amber Malt
Mash addition (5.5%) - 22.0 SRM

0.75 oz - Citra
Boil 45 min (32.9 IBUs)

1.00 oz - Mandarina Bavaria
Boil 15 min (12.3 IBUs)

1.00 tsp - Irish Moss
Boil 10 min

1.00 oz - Mandarina Bavaria
Boil 5 min (4.9 IBUs)

12.00 Items - Juiced clementines
Boil 5 min

0.50 oz - Coriander Seed
Boil 5 min

1.00 Items - Clementine zest
Boil 5 min

0.25 oz - Citra
Boil 0 min (0.0 IBUs)

1 pkg - SafAle English Ale
DCL/Fermentis #S-04
• Profiles for Recipe

BIAB, Medium Body

Notes:
12 clementines halved,juiced Added juice and zest from 2 clementine last 5 minutes of boil
Must age at least 30 days

Far be it for me to follow my own aging advice, cracked 2 open tonite, nice flavor decent carbonation ,a little thick on the pour , nice gold to slight amber color.
But very tasty definitely going to brew again.
Clementines are a bit subdued would probably either add more or go 2 stage and add to secondary

All in all very happy with it , good summer brew I'm thinking
Bonus points the wife is not a beer drinker but really likes this one

I like the Mandarina/Huell melon combo. I used them in a saison a few months ago.

I see brulosophers just did huell Mellon in his hop chronicles sounds like a different hop but people loved it.

Back