First Partial Mash

Krimbos said:
I know I am on the right track when I get input from the Brewers Friend Jedi council.

BF Jedi Counsel - I love it!

Worry Don't, Relax, Home Brew You Have.... :cool:

PHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SUCCESS!!!!

Wow. what a day. Everything went great. My poor mans MashTun worked out great, held temp at 158F for 30 mins, dropped to 150 @ 45mins. Added some 195F water and was back to 155 at 60 mins

I PERFORMED verlaugh. The wort ran clear pretty quickly.

My collected wort was 1.060 (!), so I decided to omit the late LME addition. Removing the LME from the recipe gives me a target OG of 1.030? Did I do something wrong??

Boil was uneventful. FIrst time I used irish moss, and I will definitely use it again. That stuff is magic!

Finished with 5 gals of brew. 1.050 OG, which is exactly what I was shooting for. Color is darker than expected. Will have to see how it pours

Aerated the shit out of it with a great toy - THE SQUIRREL MIXER:

http://www.amazon.com/Homax-69012-5-Gal ... _hi_text_y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EKRcqsjOBw

Rehydrated a pack of Nottingham for first time. Also a definite fixture to the process!

Not sure if I did my calculations correct: (LB, can to go into system and check them?)

Efficiency:
Conversion: 94.5%
Pre-Boil: 80% 29.2 ppg
Ending Kettle: 72% 26.2 ppg
Brew House: 87% 31.7 ppg

All in all, it was pretty easy. Now, what do I do with that 33 gal LME I bought 2 weeks ago?????????

Attachments

• Avon-20130414-00114.jpg
    Avon-20130414-00114.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 970
  • Avon-20130414-00113.jpg
    Avon-20130414-00113.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 970
  • Avon-20130414-00110.jpg
    Avon-20130414-00110.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,009
  • Avon-20130414-00109.jpg
    Avon-20130414-00109.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 966
  • Avon-20130414-00108.jpg
    Avon-20130414-00108.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,010
Great job, nice pictures! Sounds like you left PM in the dust and brewed all grain with an amazing extraction for your first batch!

As for the LME, maybe you know some friends / family who need to start brewing? :)

At your request, I checked the recipe and brew session data:

The recipe has an estimated 50% efficiency, with an OG of 1.032. You beat that, and looks like you hit closer to 70% efficiency, which is good. The volumes don't line up though (5.5 gallons recipe vs 4.75 gallons actual), which would contribute to a higher gravity in the real beer. Water volume management is the next thing to dial in. There are settings under your equipment profile. It normally takes a couple brews on new equipment to get it down pat. This post details that subject:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/2010/06/12 ... n-brewing/

By the way,what size carboy is that? It looks like a 5 gallon to me, but I can't tell what the unit is for the marks.

In terms of the brew session, the only number that looks off is Brew House Efficiency. It should be below ending kettle efficiency. For boil complete, it shows a gravity of 1.051, but then for brew day complete it lists 1.065. Those two gravities should be the same.

Also, not sure how the mash complete and pre-boil gravity were taken, but at pre-boil it added only 0.15 gallons, but got a gravity decrease from 1.065 to 1.060. Make sure the hydrometer readings are temperature corrected.

This FAQ has more information on what the system is expecting to see in terms of log events tied to efficiency calculations:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/faq/#brewsessions5

Thanks LB

It's a 6.5gal. I have calibrated 3 times with 3 different results! Yesterday I added 5 to 6.5 in 1/4 gal increments on duct tape.

I got a lot to learn here, especially water calcs. I did not intend to go AG so quickly!

Btw. Fermentation in 12 hrs! Aerate and rehydrate!

Extract brewing seems so simple now...

That is what I figured. If the tape gets wet initially, it might try to come off. Just stick it back on there and once it dries out and has a chance to really stick water does not bother it to much.

If you look at my picture, I printed my own labels and hit them with a coat of polyurethane. Seems to be working. Just not sure if they are accurate. :cry:

Bottled this bad boy today. Dried out nicely, 1.007. Aerate! Rehydrate!

Question - The sugar priming calc suggests 3 oz corn sugar, but kits always provide 5 oz. I used 3oz. Am I missing something?

3Oz is normally about what I do. Kits err on the side of caution for begginers.

Well, today I finally got around to my First Partial Mash!

All went well, hit my numbers spot on ( I'm getting pretty good at this, is I should say so myself).

I did observe a large amount of precipitate when I filtered to my carboy. I took a sample and also noticed a ton of floc drop,out almost immediately. The carboy had sediment collecting on the bottom before I even finished filling it.

I also noticed this on the batch discussed in this thread. When I bottled, I had a large amount of trub in the fermenter

The 2 differences with these batches and previous extracts batches was grain and Irish moss.

Ideas? Next time I am thinking I should wait longer after cool down to allow better floc?

Whenever I do BIAB I always end up with massive amounts of precipitate. Just finished my first patch on my cooler mash tun and noticed a huge drop in precipitate, which i attribute to the wort being filtered better by the grain bed, and the ability to recirculate that first bit of wort trapping the small bits in the top of the grain bed.

Back