First keg advice?

Box of Rocks

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Considering buying a 5 gallon keg and interested in advice. Reconditioned okay? Which Vendors are reliable? 5 lb CO2 big enough to start? Picnic tap ok? Regulator brand? Looking to get started, but don’t want to end up replacing stuff in a year.

Also - should I get two if I want to ferment in one and then use pressure to move to a second keg for conditioning? Should the second be a 3 gall maybe?

Have only bottled so far, so this is all new.

Considering buying a 5 gallon keg and interested in advice. Reconditioned okay? Which Vendors are reliable? 5 lb CO2 big enough to start? Picnic tap ok? Regulator brand? Looking to get started, but don’t want to end up replacing stuff in a year.

Also - should I get two if I want to ferment in one and then use pressure to move to a second keg for conditioning? Should the second be a 3 gall maybe?

Have only bottled so far, so this is all new.
Last question first, you can never have too many kegs.
Reconditioned is fine.
5# is fine.
Don't try to save on the regulator.
Picnic taps are fine as well.

Good luck with it!

As Nosy states, except I like 10# Co2 tanks, I have 2.
Picnic tap(s) are great to start out with until you get some shanks and taps. I started with 1 keg, a picnic tap, and a 10# bottle. I now have 4 kegs, 4 taps, Nd two 10#ers. I found a couple more kegs that I am picking up for a great price tomorrow, you just can't have too many kegs.

Last question first, you can never have too many kegs.
Reconditioned is fine.
5# is fine.
Don't try to save on the regulator.
Picnic taps are fine as well.

Good luck with it!
Thanks Nosybear. What regulator would you recommend?

As Nosy states, except I like 10# Co2 tanks, I have 2.
Picnic tap(s) are great to start out with until you get some shanks and taps. I started with 1 keg, a picnic tap, and a 10# bottle. I now have 4 kegs, 4 taps, Nd two 10#ers. I found a couple more kegs that I am picking up for a great price tomorrow, you just can't have too many kegs.
Appreciate the perspective and will consider a ten. Aluminum I assume. Have a feeling my volume requirements will be much more modest Craigerrr!

Appreciate the perspective and will consider a ten. Aluminum I assume. Have a feeling my volume requirements will be much more modest Craigerrr!
Ten pound is more cost effective. A 5 pound Co2 bottle is cheaper than a ten, but probably not a lot. Same deal with refills. For me I like that I can't remember the last time I had to refill one...

Thanks Nosybear. What regulator would you recommend?
I don't have a good brand name recommendation, sorry. FYI: I find having two 5-pound tanks a bit more versatile than having one larger one. Buy a good one from a reputable homebrew store and it's hard to go wrong. Just don't go cheap.

I have Taprite, good units. Our big distributor here has Taprite and Micro Matic. There are all kinds of brands on Scamazon, some are probably best to avoid.

I assume a 5 gallon keg can be used for storing 3 gallon batches without a problem, other than using a bit more CO2, and taking up a bit more space.

I assume a 5 gallon keg can be used for storing 3 gallon batches without a problem, other than using a bit more CO2, and taking up a bit more space.
No problem at all. Extra goodness: The footprint of both sizes of keg are the same! All that's different is the height.

Back