First Home Brew in 20+ years. IPA Recipe suggestion?

2BuckChuck

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey friends and partners in crime. I'm a west coast IPA kind of guy, but have to have some malt forward IPAs to satisfy my friends to help kick the keg. Anyone have suggestions on recipe's that is malt forward but higher IBUs? I was looking at some american pale ales, but I am just guessing at this point. Unfortunately not a typical west coast and not a NEIPA/Hazy.

I have a Brewzilla Gen 4 35L, 7.5 gallon fermonster, temp controlled mini fridge for fermentation, and its final resting spot is in a torpedo 6 gal corny. And yes, I probably over spent for my first time set up, but I'll have to make it up to my wife so she stops the dagger eyes. I went all out on Kegland gear.

Last time I brewed was more than 20 years ago, so the recipe has to be friendly for a first timer all-grain. I have gone to a couple classes and helped my buddy with his BIAB. He'll be helping me here. I don't want to try to dry hop this time around either.

Also, if there is anyone in the San Fran/Bay Area, lets start talking. I'm new to Brewer's Friend.

Thanks in advance!

Hey friends and partners in crime. I'm a west coast IPA kind of guy, but have to have some malt forward IPAs to satisfy my friends to help kick the keg. Anyone have suggestions on recipe's that is malt forward but higher IBUs? I was looking at some american pale ales, but I am just guessing at this point. Unfortunately not a typical west coast and not a NEIPA/Hazy.

I have a Brewzilla Gen 4 35L, 7.5 gallon fermonster, temp controlled mini fridge for fermentation, and its final resting spot is in a torpedo 6 gal corny. And yes, I probably over spent for my first time set up, but I'll have to make it up to my wife so she stops the dagger eyes. I went all out on Kegland gear.

Last time I brewed was more than 20 years ago, so the recipe has to be friendly for a first timer all-grain. I have gone to a couple classes and helped my buddy with his BIAB. He'll be helping me here. I don't want to try to dry hop this time around either.

Also, if there is anyone in the San Fran/Bay Area, lets start talking. I'm new to Brewer's Friend.

Thanks in advance!
Malt foward and hoppy with a simple recipe: Have you thought about going a little outside your comfort zone, buying some Fuller's yeast, some EKG, some Maris Otter, and some medium English Crystal, making an ESB?

Malt foward and hoppy with a simple recipe: Have you thought about going a little outside your comfort zone, buying some Fuller's yeast, some EKG, some Maris Otter, and some medium English Crystal, making an ESB?
99% of what I drink is IPAs so until I read your post, that would have been a hell no. But looking at BJCP I may take you up on that suggestion. I’m going to try to find an commercially brewed ESB and try it out! I’ll let you know. Hopefully i can find one. Thx!

99% of what I drink is IPAs so until I read your post, that would have been a hell no. But looking at BJCP I may take you up on that suggestion. I’m going to try to find an commercially brewed ESB and try it out! I’ll let you know. Hopefully i can find one. Thx!
From what you decribed, that is it. The downfall with a Fuller's style yeast is that it does not attenuate worth a shit, so you may have to go high with OG. The whole idea with that style is a malt, hop balance. IBUs maybe in the low 30s.
Another idea would be to make a hoppy red ale. You could probably go in the 40s IBU wise and still have some malt.

I can't help you with the style, but I just wanted to welcome you here :D

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the forum and back to brewing after such a long hiatus!

Welcome.
It sounds like a red IPA is just the thing you're looking for.
Look up Jamil's West coast Blaster. That's a great one.
It's in Brewing Classic Styles if memory serves!
Cheers
Brian

I think when you become a homebrewer you geek out when you discover new shit. I have tasted a lot of IPAs over the past few years, and I still enjoy them at the right alcohol level ( lower). Now that I can make lagers, porters, saisons, etc, etc., I have taken the geekiness to a whole new level. Beet is awesome and it should not be limited to one style. I hope whatever you decide it comes out tasty as hell.

Welcome! Or, maybe, welcome back!

You'll like your Brewzilla once you get it dialed in. It took me 3 or 4 batches before I got the temperatures accurate. I suggest cross-checking mash temperature with a thermometer a few times.

Overspending is relative. Your equipment choices will last decades, and let brewing be fun, so imho well worth it.

As for pleasing the boss: make something she likes, even if it's wine or just (non-alcoholic) seltzer.

How about a nice pale ale. You can either all grain it or go with extract and specialty grains. Extract you just need to do a 15 minute boil.
5 gal batch, 2 oz cascade @15, 2 oz Amarillo @5 and 2 oz mosaic @ flameout. Approx 40 ibu
All grain do a 45-60 minute boil and hop schedule as extract. When I want it a bit hoppier and a few more ibu I move the Amarillo to 10 minute.

Back