So this evening was my first ever solo all grain brew, it didn't go as planned... The recipe was a simple IPA http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... -citra-ipa. I posted it earlier for review. I crushed my grains in my new mill and started my strike water. This is brew in a bag. Got it up to 160 and cut the heat and doughed in. The temp went to about 149 (shooting for 152) so I hit the flame again and brought it back up while stirring and then cut the fire again at 152. I wrapped the pot in a blanket. A couple of minutes later my thermometer with the element in the pot is reading about 188. I start into panic mode and tear off the blanket and start stirring like mad. Fortunately I realize that this doesn't make any sense and that my cheapo thermo has gone south. I decide to play it by ear and stick my finger in the mash, and realize I'm not that hot and bring the heat back up a bit. I could'nt find another thermo at the time so played it by ear and finished the mash. I squeezed it to death at the end and proceeded with the boil. After all is said and done I was a little short on my volume and my OG was 1.062 instead of 1.057. I learned a lesson and will replace my thermo with a quality unit but I think I somewhat lucked out and will get beer from this brew though it may me a little stronger than I was shooting for. Also I learned that I probably can't make a 3 gallon batch of this in a 5 gallon pot. I did finally find another thermo and got it cooled down to around 68 deg and pitched some us-05 so we'll see what goes.