First Brew looking good but..

Yep totally normal especially for an all grain brew. I am not to concerned with trub in the brew house and let everything flow from kettle to fermentor. I usually get a good two inches of trub in my FV. Now if you can get the Fermentor into the fridge and cold crash that brew down to near freezing I've found it really compacts your trub down. I'm not sure if you tried this but it really helps sort out the particulate matter;).

Your doing good mate keep on brewing:).
Thanks mate. My particulates are quite well dispersed and not properly caked. unfortunately cant add the fermenter in the fridge :(, great idea thou. don't you think that 40% trub loss is way to much?
so if its like that, shall I add 2 extra liters to my into fermenter volume? This would be a 7 liters fermenter volume with a 9 liter pre boil volume. btw, I'm brewing in a bag. I thought that trub loss would be reduced...

Last edited:
Thank mate. My particulates are quite well dispersed and not properly caked. unfortunately cant add the fermenter in the fridge :(, great idea thou. don't you think that 40% trub loss is way to much?
so if its like that, shall I add 2 extra liters to my into fermenter volume? This would be a 7 liters fermenter volume with a 9 liter pre boil volume. btw, I'm brewing in a bag. I thought that trub loss would be reduced...
Yep 40% would be not good that's too much for sure. You used Irish moss in your boil or whirl flock some sore of finnings should help drop your protines and particals out better. I cold crash then add geletin normally. Also when bottling day arrives be careful not to adjetated the Fermentor too much.

Maybe someone else on here can offer you some better advise.

My biggest is buy a second hand freezer and temp controller and you'll not need worry about this again. If anything you'll be worrying about freezing your beer:p. I've frozen my tap and airlock on a cold crash before I turned the tap on to transfer nothing came out was blocked with frozen beer. Ha ha

Heheh, well, i've added irish moos at the last 10 min of boiling.
Thanks for the tips

I believe the big mistake was to plan a 5L Batch on a 30L Fermenter bucket. :p
Now it Looks very stupid, once the area is so big that i didnt have a proper height in order to get a better volume of clear beer.
I bought a 10L bucket and will measure a 2L height and add the spigot at that Level, still not 100% sure..but lets see how it goes.

I believe the big mistake was to plan a 5L Batch on a 30L Fermenter bucket. :p
Now it Looks very stupid, once the area is so big that i didnt have a proper height in order to get a better volume of clear beer.
I bought a 10L bucket and will measure a 2L height and add the spigot at that Level, still not 100% sure..but lets see how it goes.
Great idea necessity is the mother of all inventions. The 2 LT mark is about where my trub comes up to in my fermentor. I think you'll have more luck with this one.

So, after 2 weeks i`ve tried the beer. The carbonation was good, very nice aroma and tasted as an IPA should. Im quite happy with the results and alteady waiting for the improved version,with corrected mistake due to trub loss, to finalize fermentation;) here a little pic of the Machine Head Simcoe IPA ;)
aviary-image-1498909951749.jpeg

Just goes to prove... Relax, don't worry, have a home brew. I take this saying literally as we just finished our 9th brew (6th all grain) and have missed marks a couple times (not by too much) and the beers have all tasted great!

And nice colour @Gledison I've yet to make,a nice orange coloured beer will match my hair. I'd call it Ranga from down under. Or Fantapants ha ha ha

Back