First BIAB Attempt

Just to clarify a hydrometer is calibrated to a specific temperature. Mine for example reads accurate at 60F. It says on the hydrometer as they are not all the same. There is an online calculater here on brewers friend to adjust for temperature within reason - meaning 140 is really too hot to get an accurate reading even with the calculator and the glass could even shatter. I use a refractometer for hot wort as it takes just a few drops and then I take a hydometer reading when cooled before pitching yeast for my "official" OG.
Idon't disagree with you. He was using an electronic tilt though

After a week of bottle conditioning, curiosity got the best of me and I opened a bottle. What I had created was what I would best describe as hopped cider, it was sweet tasting and was fairly light colored and clear, but not recognizable as an IPA by any means. Not what I was aiming for. Have been doing a lot of research to see what adjustments need to be made, but wanted to turn here as well.

• Fermentation was 2 weeks, with OG = 1.061 and FG = 1.008, using White Labs California Ale Yeast WLP001. This was my first time using this yeast and it came out mostly solid with a small amount of liquid. As a result, I over pitched by about double the recommended amount. Yeast was stored in a refrigerator until about 7 hours prior to pitch
  • At the moment I do not have functional temp control. Temps during fermentation ranged from 63F (at yeast pitch) to 73F (at peak of fermentation). I have a Tilt and track my fermentations a couple of times a day. Data shows the overall average temp during fermentation was 67.7F
  • Beer was bottle conditioned at about the same temp in 22oz bottles, using 2 tabs of priming sugar per bottle
I'm with @Trialben a 1.008 beer would not be "sweet" but rather "dry"... Couple of questions:

1. When you say it tastes like Cider do you mean it tastes like green apples?
If it has a green apple cidery taste than it could be acetaldehyde - which is caused by poor yeast health/under-pitch/temperature or even oxidation.
The way you speak of it being like "sweet" cider means that maybe it is simply a lot of apple esters. High levels of esters is typically caused by high temperatures or an under-pitch.
- The only time I ever got an apple-like/pear-like flavor in my beer was when I used (coincidently) a california ale yeast (dry from mangrove jack). Funny though, it too hit temps in the mid to high 70's.

2. I'm confused by the "solid" yeast - Was it still really cold? Was there an issue with the pack? Maybe you should have shaken it and warmed it up a bit more before pitching? (I stopped using liquid due to the cost, exp. dates and the need for starters in a 5G batch).

- You pitched a whole pack in 2 gallons of wort... That actually sounds like a healthy amount. Maybe a bit more than you needed due to your low starting gravity.

Considering what you are tasting, I would recommend adjusting your fermentation practices not your brewing practices. - 73 for this yeast may have been too high - especially if it was during peak fermentation as I assume it was. I know 73 is just outside of the "optimal" temp for the yeast but honestly, what you are tasting most likely comes from yeast (if not oxygen) - and I'd venture its the yeast since I have experienced it myself.... That and my TILT - has sat on the shelf for some time now as I could never get it to match up with any other thermometer or hydrometer.... - It used to give me really low finish gravities too but they never tasted "dry".

Consider -
1. A way to control ferm. temps.
2. A pressure fermenter (The cost of that TILT could have bought you an All Rounder and a Co2 set up)
2a. Warm fermentations under pressure produce less esters.
3. Maybe switch to a dry yeast - lots of folks use s04 or s05 for IPAs.

Last edited:

Back