First Batch - No Hydrometer

Also, partially filled bottles are more explosive than properly filled bottles- that's why it's so carbed. The regular fill bottles may be quite a bit less.

I forget the science behind it, but it has to do with the build up of co2 in the headspace vs forced into a liquid.

The potential energy is proportional to the pressure times the surface area. An under-filled bottle has mostly the same pressure but much more surface area. Hence more explosive.

It’s going to carbonate until the priming sugar is fermented out. No telling when that was or will be. The colder your bottle, the less likely it will gush. Science at work! Doesn’t mean a well chilled bottle won’t gush. It will if there’s too much co2.

What would happen if I was to take the caps off to realease the pressure and then recap them immediately? Would they stay carbonated or would they just go flat over the next few weeks?

I’ve done that. It works, to an extent. Chill them before you open them. Then cap them quick! It’ll help, but really not a whole lot.

Or just put them in a rubbermaid container and hope nothing goes kerplooey. Up to you really. That's a main reason I got into kegging. Kegs deal with 130 psi before it's an issue.

i second JA advice store em nice and cold and serve into large glass. learn from tgus mistake and youll get less grief next time round and hey beer looks great id have some;).

Back