First all-grain batch soon...

Kgbow

Trial Member
Reaction score
Just bottled another part extract and upon initial taste it still had that slightly "homebrewy" taste. Can't wait to get on with my first all grain! :)

I have a question however.

I have all the gear bar ONE thing. That is the tap connectors for my wort chiller. As I went to order the bloomin things I came across an article about letting the wort chill. Now, I brew upstairs away from any outside tap and HAVE to connect to the kitchen sink. Then I got to thinking..... Chilling all that wort with tap water that goes straight into the sink seems a HUGE waste of water to me....

So, could I not just brew it. Then, once the boil's over. Decant it into my fermentor. Seal it and wait until ideal pitching temp is reached?

I have read about this online and it seems to be getting really good results?

Thoughts?

Just bottled another part extract and upon initial taste it still had that slightly "homebrewy" taste. Can't wait to get on with my first all grain! :)

I have all the gear bar ONE thing. That is the tap connectors for my wort chiller. As I went to order the bloomin things I came across an article about letting the wort chill. Now, I brew upstairs away from any outside tap and HAVE to connect to the kitchen sink. Then I got to thinking..... Chilling all that wort with tap water that goes straight into the sink seems a HUGE waste of water to me....

So, could I not just brew it. Then, once the boil's over. Decant it into my fermentor. Seal it and wait until ideal pitching temp is reached?

Thoughts?
You absolutely can do that. Check out "no chill" brewing. I'm pretty sure there's a lengthy discussion somewhere on this site regarding this practice.

I'm more curious as to why you are getting a "Homebrewy" taste in your extract batches, however. There's no reason that extract can't make a great tasting beer, assuming fresh extract. When I hear that beer has a homebrew flavor, I always think about water first. Are you using municipal tap water, and if so, do you take measures to remove the chlorine/chloramine?

I'm just concerned that switching to all grain might not remove the off flavor you are getting.

A few things to manage when putting hot wort into the fermenter:
  • What temperature wort can your fermenter tolerate
  • As the brew cools it will be sucking in atmosphere. If the fermenter forms a good seal you can collapse the walls.
  • Sucking in the atmosphere while cooling will bring in various microbes. Most will be irrelevant. Some can change the beer flavour.
You could try the no chill approach, where you put the hot wort into a plastic bag or cube to cool. Then transfer to the fermenter when it's room temperature. Though if your fermenter is strong enough it may be redundant.

yes I do no chill. But just overnight and then pitch yeast in the morning. If you can get a way to control the fermentation temp that homebrew taste will probably go away. I use a chest freezer with an inkbird controller but there are other ways to do it.

Not sure what you mean by "homebrewy" flavor.

I agree with @Mark Farrall . Don't seal it if you go that way you will damage the ferm or suck all the sanitizer from the airlock into it.

Honestly though. I only use 5 gallons to cool. Recirc it with a pump. Full bucket of water with ice in it

A lot of people refer to the off flavor from stressed yeast as "homebrew" taste ...like this beer tastes like a homebrew. Could be diacetyl also sometimes a green underripe apple / cider taste. Usually from yeast that fermented to hot or not letting it fully finish and giving it time reabsorb off flavors.

No problems here with no chill honestly i don't get the stigma around it but anyhow i guess that's human nature.
Give it a try you can only gain from it;).

My first all grain was a BIG improvement over extract, but I did have a good procedure in place and proper temperature control. A wort chiller is a big waste of water, but I don't have a choice. I have a plastic fermenter.

No-chill and my beer comes out great.
Screenshot_20221015-093220.png

No problems here with no chill honestly i don't get the stigma around it but anyhow i guess that's human nature.
Give it a try you can only gain from it;).
I dont know if it is a stigma as much as people are impatient. Also you do have to make sure your sanitation is on point, letting a warm sugary mess sit for 24 hours and suck in air from the outside is a definite risk.

I dont know if it is a stigma as much as people are impatient. Also you do have to make sure your sanitation is on point, letting a warm sugary mess sit for 24 hours and suck in air from the outside is a definite risk.
Yeah, I'm happy to spend the 15 minutes and 50 gallons of water to bring the wort from just under boiling to 80 (summer) or 66 (winter) so I can pitch and get my beer sooner.

Thoughts?
You could but you'll need a pretty big tank to hold the cooling water. As long as your fermentor is capable of holding up to the heat, you can get away with the "no-chill" method you describe. Ben, the method was pioneered in Australia, know anyone using it?

You could but you'll need a pretty big tank to hold the cooling water. As long as your fermentor is capable of holding up to the heat, you can get away with the "no-chill" method you describe. Ben, the method was pioneered in Australia, know anyone using it?
Yeah me and a heap of other Australians :p.

Sanitation part of no chill is a no brainer
Wort has just been boiling in you kettle for the last hour slap a lid on it anything that want to grow in there diserves to survive :D
You do you man I'll do Me there is more than one way to go about this brewing thing and one way may suit me and other way someone else
Another brew tuber recently got second degree burns by spilling hot boiling wort on his foot carying boiling wort around.
I though man just leave it in the kettle and let it chill till morning.

@Minbari I've come to understand also that when people don't know about something they will either fear it or make uneducated claims about it. We live in an era where you can type into Google anything and it'll will spit out an answer right or wrong. The fear of the unknown my way of thinking OK I know nothing about this but I'm going to try it out observe and learn about it before making a decision.

No chill is just one way to brew beer it's not the "right" way.
I just feel like it gets some bad press...

Back