Finally a fermentation chamber

jmcnamara

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
We picked up an old fridge from SWAMBO's grandmother yesterday. Cleaned it all up and let it dry. Put it all back together about an hour ago and hooked up my temp controller. Seems to be working like a charm.

And I can fit 2 carboys / buckets at the same time :D
Can't wait to brew this afternoon

It was down to 59F and held it. Now trying to go for 40 to see if I can lager now

Reactions: J A
most fridges have a temp control that bottoms out at no less than 45, it can be hacked though. thats why I use a freezer

Thanks for the heads up. This is supposed to be more than just my beer fridge, so I probably can't go all put on it like i want to

Every fridge I've ever had can hit the upper 30s. 45° would not be a safe food storage temperature. 40-140° is the danger zone. A fridge should be able to maintain 35-38°.

Last edited:
Every fridge I've ever had can hit the upper 30s. 45° would not be a safe food storage temperature. 40-140° is the danger zone. A fridge should be able to maintain 35-38°.
My lagering fridge goes down to just below freezing. Just about perfect! Most of the time it's holding between 0 and 1 degree C (squirrel!).

Very cool, I'm on the lookout for a chest freezer that I can put in my garage for similar purposes. Of course I'm trying to find one cheap, which means it's a wait.

Woot free fridge ! I'm picking up another freebie myself on Saturday ( giving him a keg of our IPA ) then can sell off my little fridge and have 3 fridges for a total cost of $70
1 for service with 4 taps
1 for keg storage / conditioning room for 4 kegs ( may get 2 taps )
1 for fermenting that fits 3 buckets

Knowing me it still won't be enough if for no other reason than i like having variety in my beer diet and we swap kegs between club members

Woot free fridge ! I'm picking up another freebie myself on Saturday ( giving him a keg of our IPA ) then can sell off my little fridge and have 3 fridges for a total cost of $70
1 for service with 4 taps
1 for keg storage / conditioning room for 4 kegs ( may get 2 taps )
1 for fermenting that fits 3 buckets

Knowing me it still won't be enough if for no other reason than i like having variety in my beer diet and we swap kegs between club members
I can see where this is heading Mark COLD Room!:p It just may be a cheaper option than running three fridges in South Aus the most expensive electricity priced place in the WORLD:eek:!

Don't even joke about it ! there's spare 125 mm coldroom panel at work and i have thought about it ...i'm in a shared rental property though .
I keep my fridges set to 5 C so they don't use much power really , housemates running clothes dryer instead of using the clothes line and electric heating instead of a jumper probably uses more

Back