Final Gravity item

johneg2u

Premium Member
Reaction score
I would ,like to be able to add my own final gravity while building a recipe. My attenuation is very good due to using starters but the recipe based estimate is often way different than my actual. Hence my recipes most often have a higher ABV than I am expecting. I could lower the amount of fermentables in my recipe if I could adjust this as I am building the recipe.

to adjust just use the custom Attenuation field and lower or raise it

Opera Snapshot_2018-06-21_210611_www.brewersfriend.com.png

Good question. I have been running into the same issue using Wyeast 1272 from a starter. I like a 6% IPA but getting 6.5% lately. My OG has been spot on, so not an efficiency delta. Just a lower FG than expected.

Thanks OMB! I will try that next time.

We are working on this right now. What we're working on is a field with the "actuals" next to the "projected". For example, you might be projected to get 1.050, but got 1.049. Same with the FG- the program may say "1.014" but you got 1.010. We want to add that, and are either going to use the space next to the projections in the upper part of the recipe builder, or in a ribbon below with the comparisons. Let me know what you'd like to see- we've looked at it both ways and aren't done with it yet.

Was crafting a response. Now I can't get the draft out of this field. Yooper.....

Thanks Yooper

I’m good with using the custom attenuation field as suggested by OMB. Anyway, it’s not a big problem if I get a little higher ABV.

Thanks Yooper

I’m good with using the custom attenuation field as suggested by OMB. Anyway, it’s not a big problem if I get a little higher ABV.
And if it is a problem, there's always dechlorinated, boiled, cooled water.... But I understand the desire for predicting FG a little better. My FG comes out consistently low as well - high pitch rate and rigorous temperature control is my hypothesis. I'm not brewing to a label so it doesn't matter if my FG is a little high, as it generally is. I could always attempt to adjust the custom attenuation rate in the current window but the variance is different for different strains of yeast.... I'm thinking there are so many ways this could be used (or misused) that the current way - custom attenuation by recipe - may be the best implementation.

Back