FG issue

Davies_Brew

Trial Member
Reaction score
I've brewed an Amber Ale with 0G of 1.050 on Aug 2nd. On the 23rd my reading was 1.020 and then again today on the 27th it still reads 1,020.

Not sure if I should just bottle or can I do anything to get it down to 1.012-.014?

The 1020 curse strikes again! There's an enzyme (same one found in Beano) that'll get it down, but it'll be close to 1.000 when it's done. I'm drinking one of my own 1.020 curse beers right now. Too malty for my taste. My issue, I believe, is an inaccurate thermometer. My mash temps were off several degrees.

yup it happens but for a quick test you can just add a half cup of table sugar, swirl the yeast a bit and check the gravity in a few days

Thats that amylase enzyme @jeffpn the same enzyme at play chopping up them sugar molecules in the mash. If you were to add some unboiled mash to that stuck mash It'd be the same thing but a high infection risk tooo_O.

Did you try the good old swirl fermentor and raise ferment temp?

What yeast strain are you using ? I use mostly 1272 for my ales and it rips nearly every brew down to 1.012 even if i mash a little higher trying to keep body in the beer

Back