FG hydrometer reading

Triskele

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'm new to brewing but I'm trying to understand how to take the FG sample. I use a bottling bucket with a simple syrup. My conundrum is actually obtain the sample. I'm thinking the only way would be taking it from the bucket before adding the syrup. Is this correct?

Welcome to the forum!
Yes, that is correct, but with some caveats.
Better practice would be to collect a sample from your fermenter before you transfer to your bottling bucket, to make sure you are at terminal gravity (FG). If not at FG, give it more time. Ultimately, you want 2 readings at the same gravity to ensure fermentation is complete - if you bottle before fermentation is complete, you could end up with bottle bombs. You don’t want bottle bombs. I always let my fermentations go for 3 weeks, which is plenty of time to ensure that fermentation is complete.
Make sure to clean and sanitize anything that will touch your wort before collecting a sample.

Best way to mix the syrup into the fermented wort is to add the syrup to the bottling bucket and then transfer the beer on top of it. This will give you a more consistent mix than if you were to transfer first and then add the sugar and stir. In my opinion anyway.

So I think it would be best to get a FG reading from the fermenter.

Does your fermenter have a spigot?

If yes, just draw off a sample from that before transferring to the bottling bucket.

If not, you can either drop a clean, sanitized hydrometer right into the fermenter and take a reading from there OR syphon a bit of beer into your hydrometer tube before transferring the rest into the bottling bucket.

Or, you can wait for some better answers! :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the feedback.
I think that I'm going to get a refractometer. I estimate that acquiring an initial sample to fill a test vessel and again a final sample I would loose a whole bottle of my brew just for the knowledge of the achohol content. I figure that the alcohol content is pretty much out of my control. I would rather just enjoy my beer as it is.
At my level of brewing NB extract kits its beyond my skills to tweak the recipe. Maybe in the future.

Refractometer is good for SG. It isn't accurate for FG without an adjustment. You can get a hydrometer with a small plastic tube. It won't take a huge amount of liquid. If you buy the glass hydrometers, always buy 2. They break very easily. I broke a few when I was starting out.

I think that I'm going to get a refractometer. I estimate that acquiring an initial sample to fill a test vessel and again a final sample I would loose a whole bottle of my brew just for the knowledge of the achohol content. I figure that the alcohol content is pretty much out of my control. I would rather just enjoy my beer as it is.
At my level of brewing NB extract kits its beyond my skills to tweak the recipe. Maybe in the future.
Refractometer can be used to determine if fermentation is finished, in the same way you would with a hydrometer. 2 or 3 identical reading will indicate that fermentation is finished. I used a refractometer for years to determine fermentation finished

BUT, a Refractometer will not give you accurate gravity in the presence of alcohol. Even with the conversion table, it is not accurate.

I accept that a refractometer only gives an approximation but that's good enough for me. I'm most interested in checking a trend. I think that it'll work fine for that.
Prrfect for trends. It will read high (like 1.034) in the presence of alcohol.

I accept that a refractometer only gives an approximation but that's good enough for me. I'm most interested in checking a trend. I think that it'll work fine for that.
I do this as well and it works fine
I do use the conversion table at times to check alcohol percentage and use it as an indication

I feel your pain on losing brew to measurements. I used to split a 2.5gal batch with 3 friends and wasn't a fan of ending up with 4–5 bottles after waiting a month!

There are ways to solve this for a future brew:

1. Adjust your calculated losses to factor in measurements. This means you will start with more water initially. Considering the volumes in question, the effect on final ABV or amount of grain used to compensate is minuscule if even practically measurable.

2. Sanitize your siphon or wine thief, and your hydrometer, and your testing tube. Pour the sample back in when done–slowly. (or add it to the bottling bucket) You don't want to introduce too much oxygen if any at this point. This isn't ideal, but it will do in a pinch until you get more experience, or employ #1 above, especially if you will likely drink the batch in less than 2 months.

Here are a few other tips:

• A big loss you need to factor in is fermenter trub. (and yes, I dump the entire kettle, but loss there can be equally significant if you don't.) I've found it to be pretty consistent for my system at 10%, which means if I want 2.5 gallons packaged, I plan for racking 2.75gal to fermenter, 5gal requires 5.5gal to the fermenter, etc.
• I now have spigots on my fermenters for samples and transfers. (BigMouth Bubblers and BSG Buckets)
• I switched my sample tube to a smaller one to save on beer loss. (some need as much as 10–12 ounces! Mine from NorthernBrewer works fine with less than 4. BrewingAmerica sells a fancy glass version that is likewise judicious with sample size if you want a really nice instrument.)
• To be consistent with your sample loss, put your hydrometer into your sample tube and add water until it floats and then a touch more. Mark the water level on the tube with a permanent marker. Remove the hydrometer and measure the amount when you pour it out. (use that in your loss calculations) Next sample, you know exactly where to stop filling the tube.
• During fermentation, I take samples every 24hours in a shot glass (usually less than half) and chill that in the fridge for an hour or so to let it clarify, then take a refractometer reading as well as make aroma and tasting notes in my logs. (chilling helps drop some yeast out of the sample for a clearer reading on the refractometer)
• I try to do Fast Ferment Tests on every batch to have a more true FG target.
• Only when I hit the same (or really close) FG as the FFT for at least 72 hours, I chill and then package. I also started taking pH and wait for that to stabilize too. (a bit more advanced, I admit)
• When I'm packaging, I take a hydrometer reading before transfer for official FG. (I've long since factored in the sample amount as a loss so I just toss it now—or drink it! It is still your beer, just not carbed up.)

As several pro-brewers have told me, refractometers are 'close enough for government work' when determining gravities for ABV, especially if you use an adjustment formula 'with alcohol present' and/or de-gas the sample before measuring. But if you're a stickler, the above tips should get you a full batch in your belly.

Prrfect for trends. It will read high (like 1.034) in the presence of alcohol.

Refractometer is good for SG. It isn't accurate for FG without an adjustment. You can get a hydrometer with a small plastic tube. It won't take a huge amount of liquid. If you buy the glass hydrometers, always buy 2. They break very easily. I broke a few when I was starting out.
After breaking 4 glass ones in a few years, I found a plastic one from NorthernBrewer that works fine. They've named it the 'Herculomter': https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/herculometer-triple-scale-hydrometer

I like this one. Only requires about 60ml to float it

SP Bel-Art, H-B DURAC 1.000/1.070 Specific Gravity Hydrometer for Liquids Heavier Than Water (B61801-5300) https://a.co/d/ddf5ZEl

Excellent! I like that you know where your skill & enjoyment level is currently at. I started brewing NB extract kits as well. It wasn't until I was comfortable with the basics of brewing that I expanded into all-grain brewing (not that you need go that route either).

If you are concerned about losing volume from taking samples, there are two things you can do.

One, as mentioned by others increase your batch size by the volume of the number of samples you plan to take.=, and don't sweat it.

Two, take fewer samples, the yeast will do as it pleases, and take as long as it takes.
If you are using a common ale yeast strain, leave it be for a full two weeks, then take one sample to confirm you are at terminal gravity.
I am pretty sure that @Herm brews for instance typically allows 3 weeks for fermentation..

One of the most difficult ingredients in home brewing when you are just starting out is patience ;)

If you are using a common ale yeast strain, leave it be for a full two weeks, then take one sample to confirm you are at terminal gravity.
I am pretty sure that @Herm brews for instance typically allows 3 weeks for fermentation..

That's what I do. Hydrometer reading at the start of fermentation and another after 3 weeks. As long as there is a kreuzen ring around the fementer (meaning the yeast did their magic) I assume fermentation is complete after 2.5-3 weeks. The gravity reading at the end is mainly to confirm that final gravity is about what I expected.

Back