Fermzilla leaking?

Brewer #49306

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just took the second batch out of my Fermzilla and both times I have had gas leaks and liquid leaking from the collection jar. My first use I just chalked it up to user error. This time I sealed and tested for two days using 20 pounds of pressure and it held pressure and no Starsan leaking, then tore it down to sanitize put it back together the same way and serious leaks both gas from the lid I'm assuming and liquid again from the collection jar area as soon as it pressurized. The liquid is definitely from the collection jar because as soon as I close the collection valve the leak stops.

Does anyone have one that does not leak? If so are there some secrets, chants or particular way to hold my tongue when assembling these so they do not leak?

As is this is just an expensive PET fermenter.

I liked the original Fermentasaurus which is why I bought this one.

I've got one and love it. I ferment under 15 psi and don't leak at all. Did you lube your seals? Are you over tightening? Next suggestion is to swap out the seal with the replacement they sent, then contact support from where you purchased and they should send another seal. There is a kegland users group on Facebook that has lots of info, and there is a guy on YouTube who posts all kinds of tips. I'll find you a link if @Trialben doesn't beat me to it. It really is a great fermenter. I've definitely got my monies worth out of it.

I've got one and love it. I ferment under 15 psi and don't leak at all. Did you lube your seals? Are you over tightening? Next suggestion is to swap out the seal with the replacement they sent, then contact support from where you purchased and they should send another seal. There is a kegland users group on Facebook that has lots of info, and there is a guy on YouTube who posts all kinds of tips. I'll find you a link if @Trialben doesn't beat me to it. It really is a great fermenter. I've definitely got my monies worth out of it.

I just bought one and did a leak test with water and was good. My question is when u ferment under pressure what do u use for your blow off?? Do u just use a spunding valve as a blow off?? I also have read that the collection cup can blow off if under pressure, any issues there??

I just bought one and did a leak test with water and was good. My question is when u ferment under pressure what do u use for your blow off?? Do u just use a spunding valve as a blow off?? I also have read that the collection cup can blow off if under pressure, any issues there??
I use the Blowtie set up. Works well.
If using the collection cup, and added yeast with the valve open, the valve needs to remain open or pressure will build up and it'll blow as the pressure has nowhere to go.

Hello, I just took the second batch out of my Fermzilla and both times I have had gas leaks and liquid leaking from the collection jar. My first use I just chalked it up to user error. This time I sealed and tested for two days using 20 pounds of pressure and it held pressure and no Starsan leaking, then tore it down to sanitize put it back together the same way and serious leaks both gas from the lid I'm assuming and liquid again from the collection jar area as soon as it pressurized. The liquid is definitely from the collection jar because as soon as I close the collection valve the leak stops.

Does anyone have one that does not leak? If so are there some secrets, chants or particular way to hold my tongue when assembling these so they do not leak?

As is this is just an expensive PET fermenter.

I liked the original Fermentasaurus which is why I bought this one.

The lid is a night mare to seal I tried many times even use bigger o ring .still it leaked .I solved it by would you believe a o ring from a king keg 4" o ring takes a bit of an effort to stretch it on the cap.lube it and screw the lid down with the tool.now seals ok

I've never had to do more than hand tighten the lid or collection chamber on mine. Perhaps using the strap wrench is over-tightening and causing your issues.

You should always lubricate orings, and you can definitely damage an oring if you over tighten it.

The zilla is plastic too right? Feel like a strap wrench in that situation is serious overkill.

Back