Fermzilla conical

Josh Hughes

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I got it together. It hold pressure etc. one problem, the dump valve doesn’t close all the way. Any tips? Obviously will have no issues fermenting just will make a mess when collecting yeast and I won’t be able to get beer of the yeast until I rack.

How about a short length of tubing, cripped or plugged some how? Those have a barbed fitting, right?

I may not be using the correct terms. The valve the closes off the fermenter to the collection cup isn’t closing all the way

Strike that....the pictures I just saw don't show a barb....nevermind....yeah

I got it together. It hold pressure etc. one problem, the dump valve doesn’t close all the way. Any tips? Obviously will have no issues fermenting just will make a mess when collecting yeast and I won’t be able to get beer of the yeast until I rack.

I had a problem like that with a fermenter I bought. Can't remember the brand. But the dump valve was a butterfly style valve. The spring on the far side was pulling too tight. Had to just loosten the retaing bolt a bit. I eventually cut off a small amount of the spring.
It didnt fit in my fridge so my son inherited it.

Some close photos of the valve, handle side and other side, might help us offer advice.

If it is a butterfly and doesn't close all the way, get a new one, seriously. (Unless they have a reseal kit). It will only get worse and they aren't super expensive

I emailed them and they said to
“To break it in and make it easier to open and close, remove it from the fermenter and put it on a flat hard surface. Hold down the plastic valve body, and press the handle down very hard to seat it in the rubber seal area. You may find getting it wet helps a bit. Once seated, leave it for 6 hours or so to break in the rubber on the sealing area. Then you should be able to open and close it.”

I don't know. Just my $0.02, but if stuff don't work when you buy it. It goes back lol.

I remember when they came out all the issues brewers were having getting them to seal tis why I avoided the butterfly valve.

I hope you can mend it.

If not ita a manufacturing defect no?
Then they send the replacement.

Usually dealing directly with kegland if a product shows a fault and you can prove it with pics or short vid then they will promptly replace that part free of charge.

Good to know. I also avoid buying any conical for that reason. This would happen that’s what I get for being cheap :) I saw a deal and I bought it
Ah I would of done the same in that situation mate were only human;).

Don't beat yourself up all problems can be fixed and you've got yourself an array of eager trouble shooters here backing you and as you say in America "rooting" for you. Lol

I thought I saw an All-Rounder in your photos from yesterday. I like the Fermzilla's design and features, but the butterfly valve gives me pause. My FastFerment 7.9G has a ball valve with teflon seals. It's a bit of a pain to break down and clean thoroughly, but I keep it pretty busy. I flush it good with a weak bleach solution with the handle turned at 45 degrees to flush out the valve housing, then flush again with clean water before storing it between each use with the valve half open. After 3 batches, I pull it apart and clean it. So far, so good. Haven't had an infected batch yet.

Lately, though, I'm leaning toward the All-Rounder to replace my FF 7.9. Nothing to get dirty in the tank, easy to clean, pressure rated. The yeast can still be collected, just not as cleanly or as easily. I usually toss the first stuff I get in the ball, then keep the much cleaner yeast that I get in the second collection.

Back