fermenting a Helles

mrskittle

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have 5 gal of German Helles currently fermenting. It has been in the low to mid 50's for about 2 weeks and I am still seeing active fermentation. There is also a full head of krausen. In the past, the krausen has dropped by now and I can warm up the fermentation a bit. I have had some temp fluctuations this time but I know the yeast is tolerant up to the low 60's. This batch did come out with an OG higher than expected and high for the style.

My question is regarding when I should do my 3-4 day warm-up before I put it in the fridge to lager for a few weeks. Should I let the level of fermentation activity guide me or just check the gravity and use that as the definitive indicator? I believe I'm looking for a gravity of around 1.020 to indicate the warm up step in lager fermentation.

Normally lagers are done in 7-8 days even at 48F. I would think you could let the temperature rise to the low 60’s now. Most of the ester formation takes place in the first half of the fermentation, so I see no harm to bring the temperature up. It seems that the fermentation is taking too long. It could be a low pitch condition.

The way I ferment lagers (there are others with different ways obviously) is I go roughly a week In The 50s and then let rise to low 60s until gravity is stable a few days. I use 34/70. I am usually within 5 points by the end of a week. I pitch an entire pack for a 2 gallon batch or use enough slurry per the calculator

Last edited:
I am really new to Helles brewing, and have only been doing lagers for about a year now (all w/ 34/70)...but will have to +1 HVM
From my (limited) experience, underpitching (and/or w/ dry yeast w/o a starter) slows things down tremendously. Once the cell count is up to where it should be, I find fermentation to complete better than with the ol' US-05 though.
My second to last batch took 3+ days just to start, because I didn't use a starter, whereas my last batch (reusing the yeast cake) was completely done in just over a week!
In other words, let it go a few more days, then bump the temp up.

PS.....I have noticed a difference based on how warm my mash was too! If you mashed warmer than usual, then there may well be a chance that fermentation will take longer and / or your FG will be higher.

It seems that the fermentation is taking too long. It could be a low pitch condition.

This may be the explanation. A few weeks ago I meant to brew, but life happened and I didn't get a chance. I had already put my yeast in a starter a day earlier, so I just crashed it and threw it in the fridge. It sat in the fridge for about 2.5 weeks before I finally got to use it. I pitched it straight from the fridge to this batch. I'm sure it wasn't a low pitch, but I bet it was slow to get going.

I checked it an hour ago and it looks like the krausen is starting to drop.

Pull a sample and check the gravity, that’s the only way you’re really gonna know. And then drink the sample . If it’s close to FG then you could let it warm up for a day or two

+2 to all the above. Plus oxygenation/aeration will affect it as well: too little slows it down.

This may be the explanation. A few weeks ago I meant to brew, but life happened and I didn't get a chance. I had already put my yeast in a starter a day earlier, so I just crashed it and threw it in the fridge. It sat in the fridge for about 2.5 weeks before I finally got to use it. I pitched it straight from the fridge to this batch. I'm sure it wasn't a low pitch, but I bet it was slow to get going.

I checked it an hour ago and it looks like the krausen is starting to drop.
The longer the yeast sets after the starter is done, the longer the lag and the lower the vitality.

I checked the gravity yesterday and it's only down to 1.030. Clearly, I've got a few more days to go. I'm fairly certain I was dealing with an extended lag time. The way things are looking, I'll end up leaving it to lager for an extra week or so because I'll be on vacation when it should be done. Oh well. Good things it's a lager and leaving it an extra week is no issue at all.

Back