Fermentation Time

Discussion in 'Beginners Brewing Forum' started by Brewer #224226, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Brewer #224226

Brewer #224226 New Member

Hello - on my 3rd batch. Question - is there value in leaving the beer in the fermentation carboy for an extra week. I am coming up on 2 weeks - I haven't checked yet, but my suspicion is that fermentation is done. My question is should I wait another week and then bottle at week 3? My other 2 batches - I just bottled right away but kind of curious if waiting an extra week does anything to the quality of the brew. Tks!

2. Mase

Mase Well-Known Member

#2 Mase, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    You’ll want three days of the same final gravity reading before you bottle to avoid bottle bombs. And depending on the beer style, aging an additional week may or may not hurt.

Edited: What was your OG and FG and what beer style?

Trialben likes this.
  3. okoncentrerad

okoncentrerad Active Member

For me, fermentation is usually completed in 3 to 7 days (Tilt is great sometimes!), but I always leave it be for minimum another 5 days regardless.

Trialben likes this.
  4. Bubba Wade

Bubba Wade Well-Known Member

Controls & Instrumentation Engineer
    Home Page:
    Another week never hurts, but is not generally necessary, providing that fermentation is complete. A couple of extra weeks aging, whether in the fermentor, keg, or bottle, often allows the various flavors in the beer to "blend" a bit.

Mase and Trialben like this.
  5. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    As above make sure you at least make sure readings are stable over a few days before packaging. It's less crucial if your kegging but hey let's be honest here "no one like unattenuated beer". I don't leave my beers long in fermentor but I still make sure I take two reading before I package I take one when I'm sure fermentation is finished then yeast are doing their clean up and floccing out then in a day or two I check again and usually it's the same then I keg.

Craigerrr and Mase like this.