Fermentation question

griz

Trial Member
Reaction score
I started a maple, smoked bacon porter a couple of weeks ago. I moved the batch into a 2nd carboy on 2/15. I'm still getting bubbles moving along through the airlock about every 15-25 seconds. Not much activity on top of the brew though (no foam). I'm going to be bottling this batch since my kegs are full. Twelve days seems like a long time for a 2nd fermentation, though this was my 1st beer to add 2lbs of real maple syrup (maybe that's what is causing the longer than usual 2nd fermentation...). Any thoughts? Thanks.

never had one last that long so 2 things, are there any bubbles actually coming from the wort, and pull the top and de-pressurize the co2, does it start back up in an hour or so

also you could take a gravity reading

Ive fermented beer with added sugar (Belgians with cane sugar, Browns with maple syrup) and I find that they take a while to ferment out. Three, or four weeks is not unusual. If you are not sure, leave it for a couple extra week. The yeast can struggle for those last remaining sugars.

I have made a Trapist in december with added candy sugar syrup.
I had the same situation, in secoundary it still had 20-30 secound bubbles after 25 days. Did you make gravity readings? My didn't go any lower in days, so I bottled it, with slightly less sugar. It turned out really good, but needed some more time to get expected carbonation.

Back