Fermentation Equipment

I'm sure, if you put some effort in, you could make it work. Cut off the handle, or build a walk in cooler. Easy to move them around, and you can comfortably get your hand in to clean it. Although without the handle, the wheels would be more cumbersome than helpful, so they may need to go. I didn't see a weight, so they may be difficult to put up on the counter/sink, so a pump could be needed to transfer. Still workable though.

Here is the rub as I see it. You have no need for a pressure vessel, so it is probably over built for your needs. You would have to do some work on it to make it work for fermentation. All of those tri clamp fittings would need to be sealed off by attaching covers or welding shut, with the exception of the one used for the blow-off tube/airlock. all this would add expense to an already pricy item. $300 bucks plus $69 shipping. In the end you would have a stainless vessel for fermentation (five gallon batch only), that requires a more extensive cleaning process (all those superfluous ports would need to be cleaned). You would be money ahead to just buy a stainless conical already designed for the process.

http://www.homebrewing.org/product.asp? ... aQodrnMJNQ

Now, if you already got a few of them, for free, laying around your workshop taking up space, by all means experiment. They might work better as kegs for a walk in cooler setup, If the dip tube goes to the bottom. But the added expence of fitting them out and sealing them off would remain. Same point though, used corny kegs go for under $100 bucks, with no modifications needed.

Or maybe I'm over thinking it.

Give it a shot if you want, I'd love to see what you come up with.

Back