Fastferment conical fermenter

Greglombardi70

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm using the fastfermenter for the first time. After the initial ferment I removed the trub. A couple days later and I'm still removing trub. I notice that the trub is lining the walls and sometimes the beer is getting in to the collection jar. It's just starting it's 14 day. Any advise would be great?!!! It's my first attempt not using a carboy and racking.

Usually the trub/break material will settle out pretty quickly, allowing it to be dumped before pitching the yeast. One of the big advantages of a conical is the ability to do this, eliminating most of it from the collection vessel once fermentation is complete and the yeast drops out of suspension. This leaves much cleaner yeast for harvesting and reuse.
If the trub/break material is present during active fermentation it will remain in suspension until activity slows considerably. It will then drop out and compact along with the yeast. What you're seeing is a combination of yeast and trub dropping out of suspension. It isn't uncommon for some of the lighter weight particulate to cling to the cone.

Usually the trub/break material will settle out pretty quickly, allowing it to be dumped before pitching the yeast. One of the big advantages of a conical is the ability to do this, eliminating most of it from the collection vessel once fermentation is complete and the yeast drops out of suspension. This leaves much cleaner yeast for harvesting and reuse.
If the trub/break material is present during active fermentation it will remain in suspension until activity slows considerably. It will then drop out and compact along with the yeast. What you're seeing is a combination of yeast and trub dropping out of suspension. It isn't uncommon for some of the lighter weight particulate to cling to the cone.
Thanks for the info!!! Will the trub and yeast clinging to the side effect bottling?

You might end up with a bit more sediment in the bottles, but you'll be fine.

Back