Fast fermentation or not

Brewer #418839

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Just made a batch of Helles using Mangrove Jack pouch. Followed instructions as per normal but my fermentation only lasted 3 days. Airlock stopped bubbling. Do I leave for another few days as per instructions and add hops or add hops now?

Dry hopping a Helles? Okay, a little unusual, but if that's what your going for, then go for it.

You can dry hop now and wait for 3 days. I usually never dry hop longer than 3 days (hops can leave a vegetal flavor if left in too long) and it will give the yeast a chance to finish if it hasn't already, you may see some airlock activity start again after adding the hops.

If you can crash cool (put it in the frig) it to 32-34F if you can to drop the hops and yeast out. The hops will drop in a day or two. The yeast will take a little longer.

Good luck!

Check the gravity, it is possible, I wouldn't rush it though.
Are you bottling or kegging?

What temp did you ferment at? Hard to believe a lager would be done that fast.

Dry hopping a Helles? Okay, a little unusual, but if that's what your going for, then go for it.

You can dry hop now and wait for 3 days. I usually never dry hop longer than 3 days (hops can leave a vegetal flavor if left in too long) and it will give the yeast a chance to finish if it hasn't already, you may see some airlock activity start again after adding the hops.

If you can crash cool (put it in the frig) it to 32-34F if you can to drop the hops and yeast out. The hops will drop in a day or two. The yeast will take a little longer.

Good luck!
That's what the instructions say to do. Guess we'll see how it turns out

It's likely done. I'm assuming you used a dry yeast. If so, it's not unusual for the yeast to burn through a beer in 3 days at that temperature. Craig is right, you should check the gravity to make sure.

It's likely done. I'm assuming you used a dry yeast. If so, it's not unusual for the yeast to burn through a beer in 3 days at that temperature. Craig is right, you should check the gravity to make sure.
Checked gravity. Still showing about 1.026, but instructions say to let it go until 1.020 or less before adding hops

Just went by the instructions. Said pitch yeast when between 18-22°
ok. must have been ale yeast. as other said, 3 days at that temp is pretty normal. alot of mine finish airlock activity in 2 days..

but, as with all yeast. let it ride for another week so the yeast can clean up after itself.

Checked gravity. Still showing about 1.026, but instructions say to let it go until 1.020 or less before adding hops
check again in 3 days and if it is still the same, I would throw the hops in.

3 days is normal for airlock activity to stop, but it probably wont actually be done for several days. Let it ferment for a couple of weeks. I thought a Helles was a lager which can stop airlock activity in three days, but it takes a heavy pitch and a shitload of yeast at 55F to do that. 18-22 C is an ale yeast, and you are probably making a Pale Ale or a Blonde.

Looks like it's not done yet.
I'd add the hops now if your gunna dry hop it.

What hops you using curious is all?

I've easy had 34/70 rip to almost terminal in 3 days so nothing unusual there in my experience.

If you dry hop it now wait 3 days check gravity if at your intended Final Gravity then start crashing it down.

What @Sandy Feet wrote.

My ale fermentations very often stop bubbling at 3 days. I let it sit and clean up another 3-4 days, then cold crash 2-4 days then package. If I dry hop, it is on day 3 or 4 generally.

ok. must have been ale yeast. as other said, 3 days at that temp is pretty normal. alot of mine finish airlock activity in 2 days..

but, as with all yeast. let it ride for another week so the yeast can clean up after itself.

check again in 3 days and if it is still the same, I would throw the hops in.
That's the plan. Let it go for another few days, check sg and if below 1.020 add the hops

Are you using extract and that is why you can't get below 1.020?

Back