extract refinings

Nberry

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
In reading the book " How To Brew" They mention several different clarifiers to help with beer haze. He lists the following:
Irish Moss
Whirlfloc tablets

in the comments he mentions that is is not recommended for extract based worts. As I am a extract brewer what are we supposed to use to help with the haze issue if we can't use the items listed?

Time heals all things, including haze. You can certainly use finings in an extract batch, but they might be less effective than in all grain batch.

When it doubt, let it sit longer before or after packaging, preferably at cold temps

You can also try using geletin. Lots of people use it as a fining agent

I had not heard of this before so I looked it up*. John Palmer mentions a couple of risks of overdosing with Irish Moss or Whirlfloc, which could remove smaller proteins that help with head retention and FAN (Free Amino Nitrogen) which is a yeast nutrient. Relatively minor issues IMHO. Still, I wouldn't them unless you have a real problem with cloudy beer.

* I have the 3rd edition of How To Brew

I see no problem with using whirlfloc in the boil for extract beers. If you're concerned about it, use 1/2 of a tablet. I would steer away from Irish moss simply because I have had that leave a faint "fishy" aroma in the finished beer.

Try it, if it helps, great. If not, I doubt it will do anything much in the way of degrading the beer. As others have mentioned, you can use post fermentation clarifiers like gelatin or Biofine Clear (silicic acid).

Edit: Palmer's book is not a bad book, but it isn't the only source of information out there. People often cite Palmer as if it's the last word in brewing, but there are many good references out there that often contradict Palmer. Some of the information in the book is dated. But if your just getting started, it's a good place to start.

Last edited:
Geletin is my got to for "Speeding up" clarification. 1/2 teaspoon in half cup boiling water stri to combine stir well that stuff can form snotty stuff I'f not desolved.
Throw a pinch of SMB in pour into top of bottling bucket or keg once cold.
Or stick it in a small pet bottle and Inject it through the gas post :)

For me personally I have used whirlfloc and it definitely helped with the clarity of my beer.....but I typically don't worry about a little haze......I actually kind of like it. I know .... I am a little strange. Anyways.....hope all is well in Hockley..... I used to live in Cypress (Fairfield - not far from Hockley)

For me personally I have used whirlfloc and it definitely helped with the clarity of my beer.....but I typically don't worry about a little haze......I actually kind of like it. I know .... I am a little strange. Anyways.....hope all is well in Hockley..... I used to live in Cypress (Fairfield - not far from Hockley)

Thanks for the comments. I don't mind it a little hazy but lately the issue seems to be getting worse. I didn't have this issue when I first started brewing a few years ago so I am not sure what has changed.

Maybe time for a deep and thorough cleaning of everything? Replace any plastic, particularly if scratched?
Just poking in the dark.

Also, try to figure out if the non-clarity is cold haze (let some warm up), sediment or yeast haze (this is a mechanical issue, let some sit in a clear jar in the fridge for a month) or protein haze (decarbonate some, then shake: Does it still foam when flat?). Knowing what it is might narrow down the solution.

I use half a whirlfloc in every batch and cold crash for 2 days after fermentation (except the hefeweitzen) and I get mostly clear-ish beer. If I let it sit in the keg for many weeks, cold, it clears always. I just have a hard time not drinking it before then...

I use the Whirlfloc tablet as well. But I find a large insulated stainless steel drinking glass really works the best.

Back