Extract compromise

fozzybeer

Trial Member
Reaction score
Im an All-Grain brewer but still appreciate the advantages of extract brewing - namely time.
However, the main disadvantage is cost.
What I have done in the past is combined say a Black Rock Pale Ale 1.7 KG can kit with a Black Rock 1.7 KG can of Light Malt extract. I've then added hops and had some pretty decent results.
I would like to add some steeped grains to an extract kit instead of buying the can of LME so save a bit of money and also to increase the gravity slightly.
My question is how much grain would I need and how long should it be steeped? Also does it need to be boiled?
I guess this depends on the type of grain, but just wondered if anyone has any suggestions/recipes?
For example I was thinking of getting something like a Black Rock IPA or Golden Ale or APA and adding some steeped grains.
Anyone got any suggestions?

I'm a pretty new at brewing, but have been brewing extract kits with steeping grains and adding hops. Generally the kits have the kits have 3/4 to 1 1/2 lbs of specialty grains. They still need the malt extract for fermentable sugars.

To replace the LME, I think you will need a mini-mash with 2 to 3 lbs of base grains. But I may be wrong.

As far as steeping goes, I have had good luck steeping the grains for about 30 minutes around 150 to 160 degrees. Boiling depends on whether the extract is hopped or not. If it isn't hopped go for a 60 minute boil with hop additions.

I'm not sure if I've been any help. I do feel that adding steeping grains to malt extract beers enhance flavor, freshness and color.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... le-extract

I made this up and brewed it and was great, you will need to crush your steeping grains finer than a normal mash
what I do is add my water heat the pot up and put the steeping grains in a brew in a bag bag, clamp it to the side and just let it hang, warm the pot up to 160, let it sit at that temp for 30 to 45 minutes, you will not get any sugar out of the steeping grains, they are only for flavor unless you mash for at least 45 minutes at 152 or so then any base grain will add sugar. Take the bag out and boil and start adding hops

here's another with a base grain to steep

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... na-extract

OK Thanks guys
Another question, does anyone know what the equivalent amount of grain (lets say a pale malt) would be for a 1.7kg can of LME assuming 75% efficiency?
The Dry Malt Extracts don't seem to be so common here in New Zealand for some reason. Can anyone provide the pros and cons of using DME rather than LME?
I'm wondering if I can get away with using just the one can of LME (or equivalent of DME) and then making up the rest of the fermentables and specialty malts by doing a mini-mash. I'm kinda guessing about 3KGs (6.5 pounds) extra would be needed but not sure...

Awesome! Thanks Ozarks!
Just what I was after :D

The syrups are approximately 20 percent water, so 4 pounds of Dry Malt Extract (DME) is roughly equal to 5 pounds of Liquid Malt Extract (LME).

Where I live (Washington state) the biggest factor is cost.

Light Malt Extract-Bulk-Briess 7 lb 17.75

Dry Light Malt Extract-Briess 3 lb 9.50

If I can use just the LME I will but there are times when I need a bit more and will buy a 1lb bag of DME
I've priced out doing all grain and considering the amount of grain needed, the time and power needed to do that just isn't cost effective for me at this point. If I was brewing say 30 gallons at a time that would be another story.

The simplest base malt conversion is to just multiply the number of pounds of malt by 0.75 to get the pounds of liquid extract.
(example 8 pounds of malt becomes 6 pounds of liquid extract.)

So for a 6 gallon patch I could buy 9lbs of grain (cost $13) and try to stuff it all in my pot and brew it all day or just spend $17 on the LME

Back