Extract Brew Session Pre-Boil Volume

charger

Trial Member
Reaction score
The extract Brew Session instructions/Brew Steps appear to be slightly misleading for the water needed. As information, I use a boil size of 6.5 gallons and batch size of 5.5 gallons (kettle). This allows me to account for kettle dead space for a 5+ gallon batch, yada yada... The water calculations show I need 6.17 gallons of water for my equipment profile, agreed, as does step 4 of the setup. However, post-steep, step 1 of the boil is to fill kettle to pre-boil volume of 6.5 gallons. While step 5 is to add the extract (dried/liquid).

My questions are, isn't the pre-boil volume of 6.5 gallons comprised of the 6.17 gallons of water, less the grain absorption (0.06 gallons for this example), plus the extract (DME at 0.39 gallons)? If so, shouldn't step 1 of the boil be to fill kettle with water to 6.11 gallons?

Maybe that first step could be removed altogether and modify step 5 to indicate "Add water and dry / liquid malt extract to kettle for a pre-boil volume of 6.5 gal (26 qt.)"

I have not used the Brew Session, in part, because I prefer to have a hardcopy on hand that I include in my book of brews, but also my first run through was somewhat confusing. It was unclear how much water I really needed so I avoided it thereafter. Please let me know if I misunderstood anything about the volumes. Thanks

first and foremast did you set up a profile that represents your extract and go through your actual losses, then pick that profile in your brew, it will give you the correct amount of water based on those settings and your starting water in the recipe

Yes, I adjusted my profile to reflect my setup. I agree with the amount of total water noted in the water requirements and setup step 4. Its step 1 of the boil that seems misleading. I don't know how I can fill the kettle to the pre-boil volume of 6.5 gallons before I add the extract that is part of that 6.5 gallons.

It was an initial turnoff when I first started with it and haven't really used it since, although beyond that it appears to be set up pretty well for step-by-step process. If other brewers are starting in on using the Brew Session it could lead to confusion and possible dilution of their wort, thinking they need to add that much water, as oppose to adding the water noted previously and then the addition of extract would bring that volume up to the noted pre-boil volume.

I see what your saying, basically the displacement of dry malt added increases the overall volume in the kettle, so I'm guessing your asking which is the correct, the amount in the kettle pre-extract or pre-boil with the extract included, good point, you might want to go through the facts page to see if Larry has a write up on this issue

Back