Extra Special/Strong Bitter

Discussion in 'Recipes for Feedback' started by Craigerrr, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Craigerrr

Craigerrr Well-Known Member

One of my favorite British historical beers is Fullers ESB. As I am bored out of my skull waiting for some test results, I have done a bit of research, and found this on the interwebs, and it seems to be pretty well thought out.
    http://www.fermentarium.com/homebrewing/brewing-beer/how-to-make-an-esb-extra-specialstrong-bitter/
    From this article, I have put this recipe together, and wonder what the good people on BF think.
    https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1023515/esb
    Here is a recent picture of the commercial brew. Thinking it will need a good long cold crash, but I also suspect that the commercial version is filtered.
    20200524_165020.jpg

Group W, BOB357 and thunderwagn like this.
  2. Group W

Group W Well-Known Member

Looks good Craigerrr. I compared it to a British ESB I did this spring that took 3rd in a local club comp. My ESB needed more crystal and you appear in the neighborhood to get the correct sweetness. Your hops look fine. You have a big SO4 forward water treatment and I’m not sure about that. That Fullers ESB is a real treat. Cheers.

3. Craigerrr

Wasn't able to get anywhere near the target, here is a snapshot of my actual based on my additions (hopefully this is something that will be displayed in the recipe view in the future)
    Screenshot_20200712-142112_Chrome.jpg

4. Craigerrr

Should I go with more of a balanced profile, or a malt forward profile?

5. Group W

I went more balanced but still a little SO4 forward like on my pales and got dinged for hop harshness.

Someone with more experience on the style needs to chime in.

Craigerrr likes this.
  6. Bubba Wade

Bubba Wade Well-Known Member

Controls & Instrumentation Engineer
    Home Page:
    I am a fan of Using BU/GU ratios when developing recipes. Your recipe is about 0.58. Standard for an ESB is around 0.70 to 0.80 depending on the style guide you use.

I tend to go a touch light on the bittering, so your recipe looks good to me.

Craigerrr likes this.
  7. Craigerrr

One thing that I have never understood in the recipe editor is the hop utilization factor. With this recipe/style that I have not brewed, how do I decide what to set it at? I presume that this value will affect BU/GU representation in the recipe. Would like to tidy that up before messing with BU/GU ratio for this.

8. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

I'm by no means an expert on brewing the style, but I am as far as drinking it. I brewed a strong bitter about a year ago that would stand up to almost any I've ever had. All of my prior attempts fell well short of the mark.
    Here's the water profile I used: Calcium: 76 ppm, Sodium: 8 ppm, Chloride: 77 ppm, Magnesium: 0 ppm, Sulfate: 82 ppm, Bicarbonate: 16 ppm. The IBU/SG ration was .74 and the beer was, in my opinion, perfectly balanced for the style.
    Edit: The mash pH was 5.39.

Group W and Craigerrr like this.
  9. Craigerrr

Thanks Bob, I remember that being discussed in another thread, thanks for the water profile details!

10. Bubba Wade

Bubba Wade Well-Known Member

Controls & Instrumentation Engineer
    Home Page:
    I’m not 100% sure, but I believe that the hops utilization is calculated for you. Based on the alpha acids, time, and temperature, the recipe builders calculates IBU contribution for each hop addition. The BU/GU ratio shows up in the recipe editor, so you can see as you make adjustments.

Craigerrr likes this.
  11. Craigerrr

Interesting, I arbitrarily entered 90% for each addition (pic#1), and the IBUs equal those two amounts added together (pic#2), and yet with the recipe in view mode shows 96%
    Screenshot_20200712-160936_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200712-160952_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200712-161006_Chrome.jpg

12. Group W

I used water similar to Bob starting with RO and Ca 54, Mg 0, Na 12, SO4 69, CaCl 47, bicarb 25.

Check this out on water https://byo.com/article/esb-style-profile/

Again, your hop selection, schedule and IBUs and BU/GU is fine.

13. Craigerrr

Great article, thank you.
    Switched to S-04 yeast, adjusted water profile, and edited malt bill to bring ABV back down to 6%, OG is now 1060. BU/GU ratio went up to 0.69, but it still seems to be in range for the style.

Bubba Wade likes this.
  14. Josh Hughes

Josh Hughes Well-Known Member

Teacher
    I’m brewing an ESB next weekend. I’m using 90% MO, 7% C60, 3% Chocolate. 38 ibu Pd progress hops. Using S-04 slurry.

Craigerrr, BOB357 and Group W like this.
  15. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

Best of luck with the ESB. A good one is something to savor. I always found it to be a challenge considering what a simple style it appears to be. This is a style that requires balance to the nth degree. After missing the mark more times than I care to reveal, I finally brewed one that made the grade & won't be altering the recipe.

16. Josh Hughes

Josh Hughes Well-Known Member

Teacher
    This is my first so...looking for ESBish beer that I’ll enjoy lol. My favorite beers are bitters. I’ve brewed a best bitter a few times and and ordinary bitter that is conditioning that I get to try next week sometime. The Best turned out well the ordinary didn’t taste as good on bottling day, too thin.