extra "meaty" beer...

sbaclimber

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have been more-or-less brewing the same recipe over and over again for quite a while now, partially to see how often I can produce a replicate but mostly to see what happens when I make small changes.
For the most part, I have been doing fairly well in the replicate category. Very few exact replicates aroma / flavor wise, but pretty close and my numbers are mostly bang-on.
My last brew is really throwing me off though.
I have brewed this exact recipe multiple times. It has always turned out fairly malty, almost sweet, with a nice fruity aroma and flavor with a good balance bitterness (for my tastes) and after ~1.5-2 months in the bottle is still a bit hazy but very transparent. I also like a good smooth, almost a bit thick, mouthfeel which I achieve with a good dose of CaraPils and a bit of Calcium Chloride.
This last time the brew turned out okay, and the fruit flavors are now quite obvious too, but there is a very distinct "grainy" flavor and the haze is extreme and not going away, not to mention the feeling that I almost have to chew the beer (which I actually kinda like :)). Even right before bottling, the aroma and taste were different than before and very "grainy" (the only way I can describe it). Other than having bought new ingredients, I am not aware of any other changes. Why the "grainyness" all of a sudden!?
Btw, OG and FG were perfectly normal.

PS, the "grainy" taste is very similar to what the wort during the second (batch) sparge tastes like. Not overly sweet, just kinda....well, like grain. :p

Im sure more will tag in but too fine of crush or sparged too hot or ph off will give that flavor

Thanks for the ideas.
Sparge temp. and pH should've been okay. I measured the temp. and have measured the pH in past brews with the same recipe, so *should've* been the same.
The grain crush could well be the influencing factor though! I don't crush my own, always buy pre-crushed, and it was a new batch of grain. The proof will probably be how the two brews that are currently fermenting turn out. They were both brewed with grain from the same batch.

Back