Expired date unpasteurized beer.

Mastoras007

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Good Evening
I would like information on the expiration date of unpasteurized beer.
How can a microbrewery manage to sell beer that has a short expiration date?
is there any base rule that need to follows about this?
I would be mostly interested in learning about keg beer.
So what is the average expiration date for some unpasteurised beer?
Days? Months? A year?
I know you can drink without some serious problem a expired beer but what about law? What is the maximum time a brewery can store their kegs before they sell those kegs?
Theanks in advance!
Any information will be welcome!

The short answer is it depends upon the type brewed. Also, some types need longer conditioning before refrigeration. Lots of factors to consider.

The alcohol in the beer has an antibacterial effect. It's more a question of flavor as opposed to safety.

Laws vary from place to place. In the USA very few of the dates refer to safety, merely flavor.

Good Evening
I would like information on the expiration date of unpasteurized beer.
How can a microbrewery manage to sell beer that has a short expiration date?
is there any base rule that need to follows about this?
I would be mostly interested in learning about keg beer.
So what is the average expiration date for some unpasteurised beer?
Days? Months? A year?
I know you can drink without some serious problem a expired beer but what about law? What is the maximum time a brewery can store their kegs before they sell those kegs?
Theanks in advance!
Any information will be welcome!​
There is an antimicrobial action from the alcohol in the beer. Flavor is more important than safety while making this decision.

Laws are different in each jurisdiction. Few American dates even mention food safety, instead emphasizing deliciousness.

My feeling about expiration dates is as follows: they are overrated and set too early. Lawyers have ruined the world.

I live by the 5 second rule, leave food out overnight. hand sanitizer is for doctors. Never get sick.

Back