Experimental side by side brewing.

Had a little lightbulb moment last night thinking about this fermenter thing.

Corny keg I can no chill into one of these easily if I want but fitting a glycol coil might be the big obstacle.
I'm sure it can be done.

Once my Munich lager is out the kegmenter I'll see how the temp twister glycol coil goes with one.

The biggest obstacle will probably be avoiding changing more than one part of the process or ingredient at a time through the whole project. The biggest detriment to the experiment will be if you change what recipe you're making, unless of course, you're just trying the change for a particular beer style/recipe. That means a LOTTA brewing and a lotta tasting (darn the luck), spanning a long time, which could affect the outcome of the beer because of aging. Aged beer is better. Full stop. Even the stuff I don't particularly like is better after aging. The fun part will also be keeping a good journal and log of what happens on BOTH batches running in tandem. Any variation on either mini-batch will basically mean they aren't the same batch any more.

Up to a point, you may find you can do some large batches and split them for your testing, but not if the test parameters are anything in mash or boil time. Once you get past boil stage, though, you'll have the best consistency by splitting a single large batch. Depending on your hops and bittering targets, longer boils are certainly going to raise the bitterness and hurt some of the hop taste. For that part, I'd probably target the most neutral hop possible with ONLY bittering qualities for the target to avoid cooking off the flavors. Unless, of course, that's one of the test targets.

It might also get a little boring drinking the same brew over and over by the time you get all the tests run. That may jade your opinion a little as the project wears on. Make sure to keep something around to keep the taste buds happy and in tune, as well as at least one prior iteration of the testing so you can side-by-side the results from two different parameter changes. You may find a degradation that would otherwise go unnoticed.

Lastly, it's going to take a lot of work to control all variables except the one you're testing, and face it, sh** happens. Murphy's 1st law: Don't mess with Mrs. Murphy. 2nd Law: If it CAN happen, it WILL happen and at the least opportune time.

But in absolute support of your efforts, this is exactly some of the things I want to try as well. Tweaking the processes and procedures with the primitive equipment I have may help me down the line to keep improving my brewing and get a lot easier when I have more modern hardware. Just because something "has always been done that way" doesn't mean we can't find improvements or at least figure out WHY it's always been done that way. The real trick will be to get the same opinion of the change from someone else. If you're at this next winter (summer to me), I'll be more than happy to come by and help you with the tasting if we can make our planned trek to Oz. Tentative dates at the moment are mid-June to mid-July. I've grown fond of celebrating my birthday in other countries. I think we'll do a full month this time. Normally, it's 3 weeks because we normally have to get someone to look after kids while we're gone. Not gonna be an issue next time. Even if I have to buy someone a tent.

Gonna have a look at those 8L PET mini-kegs. I like what I see there, and should be able to fit a few of those in the freezer, expecially standing up. That would allow brewing several batches at shorter intervals.

Is your plan to test something, decide Method A is better than Method B, and then only do the rest of the project with Method A? It may well be that the next variable you change could drastically affect the previous outcome, or vice versa.

Thanks for the heads up RoadRoach.

Yeah I prefer my beer young as in 1 month after packaging it's hitting its sweetspot I find personally.
Nothing better than an ale fresh out a fermenter too num num.

Yeah it's not going to be like a brulosophy copy just my crack at doing some side by side experimenting.

I feel ill be able to get two side by side brews pretty close so as to reduce to many other variables.

Same wort same yeast just different chilling matrix will be one. I'm sure fermentation in a keg vs kegmenter won't matter if um testing what chilling method was used.

Well I guess first one will be side by side kegmenter fermentation vs in a keg maybe there will be a difference...

Na im really looking forward to this I'm already thinking yeast comparrisons malt comparrisons a little further down the track like what Sunfire96 did but I'm thinking different roasted malts like different chocolate malts and roast malts from different maltsters say in a mild or a stout ect .

The Experimental Brewing guys went to New Zealand in 2018...maybe 19...and there have been numerous mentions on the podcast of no chill since and the consensus is that there is no discernable difference in the taste...."only your brewer will know"!
Cheers Ward I'll have to have a look back through.
That's Denny and Drew beecham?
Yeah I'm a regular on their poddy nice and chillaxed

Paging all brewers I need help tracking down a smallish glycol coil that would fit inside a Cornelius keg.

I'll use weldless bulkheads for the adaptation but any links I'm all eyes and ears

Truly greatfull !

Oh yeah!

'ere ya go mate!
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-64-hopping-down-new-zealand

I'm on episode 90 something ....where they are trying to figure out how to pronounce
Kveik...so like 2019 and neither of them have used it yet. Kinda funny to time travel via podcast!
Yup definitely like stepping back in time.

Even looking at old forum posts is good just to see what we were talking about a few years ago and different brewing Norms and such as opposed to now.

Paging all brewers I need help tracking down a smallish glycol coil that would fit inside a Cornelius keg.

I'll use weldless bulkheads for the adaptation but any links I'm all eyes and ears

Truly greatfull !
You can certainly make one. Get some 8mm-ish copper tubing (used in the a/c industry) and bend it up using a piece of ~100 mm plastic pipe. The copper is soft so it won't kink easily. Bloody expensive though.

You can certainly make one. Get some 8mm-ish copper tubing (used in the a/c industry) and bend it up using a piece of ~100 mm plastic pipe. The copper is soft so it won't kink easily. Bloody expensive though.
Yeah I think SS brewtech have a small diameter ones I'll have more a look around

Exactly what I used for my immersion chiller. I used a 50-foot length. Just stay away from brass/bronze fittings. Stainless with copper can be a little finicky about sealing though.

No copper in my fermenter sorry boys n girls speeds up oxidation effects will be stainless or not at all.

Exactly what I used for my immersion chiller. I used a 50-foot length. Just stay away from brass/bronze fittings. Stainless with copper can be a little finicky about sealing though.
Why not brass or bronze? Brass may contain lead, that I know, but for the most part that metal doesn't touch the fluids.

So it'll fit
20221020_063107.jpg

The real estate at the top is what I'm worried about and the angle of the corney lid would want to point the coil over to one side
These bulkheads should fit either side of that gas port.
20221020_063337.jpg

Hmmm I might email kegking on their coil dimensions it's more of a rectangular shape
And the in out lines are off to one side...

So it'll fitView attachment 22737
The real estate at the top is what I'm worried about and the angle of the corney lid would want to point the coil over to one side
These bulkheads should fit either side of that gas port.
View attachment 22738
Hmmm I might email kegking on their coil dimensions it's more of a rectangular shape
And the in out lines are off to one side...
That cap is more hole than metal :eek: .

That cap is more hole than metal :eek: .
Yes a bit going on there it all seals and holds pressure perfectly.
Them bulkheads work flawlessly.

Yeah I just wanted to see if I could fit a "temptwister" in a keg tick.
Now I can continue thinking forwards on how to install one.

I'm sure I could bend them maybe a little so the coil is offset by the angle of the keg top tapper I'd say that's 15° by eye...

The biggest thing will be if I can get the bulkheads to seal.

Last edited:

Back