Experiment with Bru-1 & Idaho 7

Kees77

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I've done a number of NEIPA's and want to try a batch without the typical Citra, Galaxy, Mosaic hop combo. I have read about a few new hops and Bru-1 and Idaho 7 caught my attention. I'm thinking of trying this recipe below. Please let me know your thoughts? Are the ratio's correct?

Grain
6.25 lb 2 row
6.25 lb Golden Promise
2.5 lb Flaked Oats
1.25 lb Wheat
0.25 lb Crystal 10 or 15

Hops
0.75 oz Apollo 60 min

1.5 oz Idaho 7 whirlpool (170F)
2 oz Bru-1 whirlpool (170F)
2 oz El dorado whirlpool (170F)

1 oz Idaho 7 @ 70% atten (day 3)
1.5 oz Bru-1 @ 70% atten (day 3)
1.25 oz El dorado @ 70% atten (day 3)

1 oz Idaho 7 on day 7
1.5 oz Bru-1 on day 7
1.25 oz El dorado on day 7

Yeast
LALbrew New England

Hi Everyone

I've done a number of NEIPA's and want to try a batch without the typical Citra, Galaxy, Mosaic hop combo. I have read about a few new hops and Bru-1 and Idaho 7 caught my attention. I'm thinking of trying this recipe below. Please let me know your thoughts? Are the ratio's correct?

I have yet to try Idaho 7 but I have used Bru-1. It is extremely fruity and smells just like Pineapple and tastes wonderful - if you like fruity beers that is. I used it as part of the Whirlpool (30g = 50%) and Dry hop (20g = 25%) mixtures. Turned out great.
I, personally, would bung in a load of rice hulls to stop the wheat sticking the mash but that is probably a quirk of my system requirements.

Hi Everyone

Grain
6.25 lb 2 row
6.25 lb Golden Promise
2.5 lb Flaked Oats
1.25 lb Wheat
0.25 lb Crystal 10 or 15

Hops
0.75 oz Apollo 60 min

1.5 oz Idaho 7 whirlpool (170F)
2 oz Bru-1 whirlpool (170F)
2 oz El dorado whirlpool (170F)

1 oz Idaho 7 @ 70% atten (day 3)
1.5 oz Bru-1 @ 70% atten (day 3)
1.25 oz El dorado @ 70% atten (day 3)

1 oz Idaho 7 on day 7
1.5 oz Bru-1 on day 7
1.25 oz El dorado on day 7
epoxy flooring Corpus Christi
Yeast
LALbrew New England
The recipe you've provided for a NEIPA (New England IPA) using Bru-1 and Idaho 7 hops looks interesting. The hop combinations and ratios seem reasonable, but keep in mind that personal preferences can vary. Here are a few thoughts on your recipe:

Grain Bill:

• The combination of 2-row, Golden Promise, Flaked Oats, Wheat, and a small amount of Crystal malt (10 or 15) should create a good malt base for the NEIPA style. It's a fairly standard grain bill for this style.
Hops:

• Apollo at 60 minutes: This hop addition will provide bitterness to balance the sweetness from the malt. It's a common practice in NEIPAs to have a small bittering addition at the start of the boil.
  • Whirlpool additions (Idaho 7, Bru-1, El Dorado): These hops added at 170°F during whirlpool will contribute aroma and flavor to the beer. The ratios you've mentioned should give a balanced hop character. Experimenting with new hop varieties like Idaho 7, Bru-1, and El Dorado is a great way to explore different flavors.
  • Dry hop additions (Idaho 7, Bru-1, El Dorado): Splitting the dry hop additions into two stages, one on day 3 and another on day 7, can help maximize the hop aroma and flavor in the beer. The ratios you've provided seem appropriate.
Yeast:

• LALbrew New England yeast is a suitable choice for a NEIPA. It's known for its ability to produce fruity esters and contribute to the hazy appearance of the style.
Overall, the recipe looks well-constructed, and the hop combinations you've chosen should provide a unique hop profile different from the typical Citra, Galaxy, Mosaic combination. Brewing is a creative process, so don't be afraid to experiment and adjust the recipe based on your preferences. Enjoy brewing your NEIPA!

It makes for some interesting reading but Chat GPT 4 ain't the be all and all when it comes to brewing information.

For instance I wouldn't be using any bittering hops at 60 mins in a NEIPA let alone Even boiling for 60 all hop additions would be WP or Double Dry hopped.

Also some Brewing Salt additions may be good in regards to Sulphate to Chloride ratio.

I must admit I do read through this bots Brewing suggestions though :).

Back