Experiences with Omega Bananza and Sundew? Thoughts on the Blog Article?

I like the article. I had already purchased Sundew ( but still have have not used it ) prior to reading the article but I liked the added insight and knowledge i gained about using the strains.

Thanks!

@brewer’s friend blog Good question! I’m not sure. I’m currently thinking SMaSH with Red X and fermenting on the cleaner side but that really depends on the ester profile. If the profile is more on the “Belgian” side than if I went for the SMaSH I’d probably stress it a little to bring out the flavor. If not than maybe treat it right and do something with midish malt back bone and some fruity late hop / whirlpool additions and a hit of early addition to keep it clean… if any of that even makes sense! Lol

Right up front... Didn't read the article. I don't have time right now. I might get back to it in a few.

We did an experiment when they first launched, 5 gallons, 5 yeasts. By far I liked the Sundew. It had really nice range of fruity characteristics that played well together. The Bananza was like a Hefeweizen on steroids. It was a bit much for me. We all agreed it was probably just the wrong style to try it with.

If your curios, this is the agreed upon order for the 5 yeasts...

1. Muntons. (I was surprised too. The least expensive yeast out there is damn good.)
2. Sundew
3. US-05
3. VOSS
5. Banaza

I ended up using a 50 / 50 blend of Maris Otter and Golden Promise that I got from my buddy's brewery. So far the Sundew has been a beast in my fermentors. It does not like to be in the 60's but in the 70's it goes berserk! It looks like it will finish up my 1.056ish beers in about 5 days but I'm Spunding and ramping up the pressure now so I'm not sure. I'm now keeping them around 78deg F. I currently have 1 batch with all Huell Melon and another with all Belma Hops minus the bittering (60 min) additions. Smells delicious if you're into esters. I definitely get some strawberry aromas from both batches.

I ended up using a 50 / 50 blend of Maris Otter and Golden Promise that I got from my buddy's brewery. So far the Sundew has been a beast in my fermentors. It does not like to be in the 60's but in the 70's it goes berserk! It looks like it will finish up my 1.056ish beers in about 5 days but I'm Spunding and ramping up the pressure now so I'm not sure. I'm now keeping them around 78deg F. I currently have 1 batch with all Huell Melon and another with all Belma Hops minus the bittering (60 min) additions. Smells delicious if you're into esters. I definitely get some strawberry aromas from both batches.

That sounds interesting! With those hops it should be a nice fruity beer.

Back