Estimated ABV of an Extract Recipe

Over The Cliff Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I want to brew a quick batch tomorrow without having to set up my BIAB outside. So I decided to do an extract on the stove top. Here is my question. If I estimate the ABV to around 10% in the kettle (2.5 - 3 gal), when I top off to 5 gal in the fermenter, what does the ABV drop to? I want to build it into the recipe builder. Thanks for reading.

Frankenbrewer.

I only ever did one extract brew, and I followed a recipe from a kit I purchased online. What I do remember is that after the steep, and the boil I added the wort to the fermenter, then topped up with water to get to fermenter volume.

Hey folks,

I want to brew a quick batch tomorrow without having to set up my BIAB outside. So I decided to do an extract on the stove top. Here is my question. If I estimate the ABV to around 10% in the kettle (2.5 - 3 gal), when I top off to 5 gal in the fermenter, what does the ABV drop to? I want to build it into the recipe builder. Thanks for reading.

Frankenbrewer.
The measurements and calculations are the same. Think in terms of gravity: What OG do you have going into the fermentor, what's the predicted FG, then use the ABV calculator to predict. But seat-of-the-pants estimate, you doubled the water volume, you halved the ABV.

Back