Equipment Profile Losses

Brewer #404298

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I am setting up my new equipment. Doing single vessle, BIAB in 10g Blichmann with boil coil. Not sure what the difference is between:
Kettle Losses-The amount of liquid (and gunk) left behind in your kettle in quarts or liters. Can be thought of as trub losses.
Mash Lauter Tun Losses-Amount of liquid left behind in your lauter/mash tun in quarts or liters.

Maybe they are the same or one is N/A in my set up? Just want to account for the ~1 quart left over after boil that does not go into fermenter. I am guessing it would go in either, but not both?

I am setting up my new equipment. Doing single vessle, BIAB in 10g Blichmann with boil coil. Not sure what the difference is between:
Kettle Losses-The amount of liquid (and gunk) left behind in your kettle in quarts or liters. Can be thought of as trub losses.
Mash Lauter Tun Losses-Amount of liquid left behind in your lauter/mash tun in quarts or liters.

Maybe they are the same or one is N/A in my set up? Just want to account for the ~1 quart left over after boil that does not go into fermenter. I am guessing it would go in either, but not both?
Yes. When using a separate mash tun and boil kettle, each have their own losses. But in your setup, mash tun losses are zero. Of course, there are other losses such as grain absorption.

Back