Entire recipe editor page unresponsive/slow

nmuleski

Trial Member
Reaction score
This has been an ongoing issue but is now so bad that I can't even create a new recipe.

The editing recipe page is completely unresponsive for me. The lag between pressing a button and something happening is between 5-20 seconds, and often the entire page becomes unresponsive for minutes at a time. It starts as soon as open the page and try to open a drop-down, or type anything in.

No other page on the site has this issue, but editing recipes is nearly impossible for me right now. I've tried Edge and Chrome with the same results.

Watching the resource monitor on my laptop, just opening the Recipe Editor takes my RAM for Edge from 400mb to 2553mb! Anytime I click on something in the recipe editor my CPU usage jumps from 2-3% to 15-20%.

I tried this while monitoring memory and did not see a significant jump. Page is responsive as expected.

While I am no computer expert, how much memory does the laptop have? If it is close to 3 GB or less you may be hitting your system's "disk cache", where the system writes to the hard disk because it is out of RAM. This definitely slows a system to a crawl.

If that's not the case, perhaps @Pricelessbrewing might have some insight.

Is there any possibility of using a different computer as a test?

I will try another computer, but this computer is a beast: i7 processor and 16GB of RAM.

I also tried running it in Incognito mode so that none of my extensions would be interfering with it, but I had the same results.

I will try another computer, but this computer is a beast: i7 processor and 16GB of RAM.
OK, so it's unlikely the machine, and less likely the browser or it's add-ons. Since you have good responsiveness of the forums, it is also unlikely your internet connection. Weird. As I mentioned, I'm no expert, and thus we have reached the limits of my expertise...

Watching the resource monitor on my laptop, just opening the Recipe Editor takes my RAM for Edge from 400mb to 2553mb! Anytime I click on something in the recipe editor my CPU usage jumps from 2-3% to 15-20%.

There could be many reasons for this. The huge increase in memory usage likely means it's doing more than just opening a web page. Try clearing the cache (in setup) and running a virus scan. Run Task Manager (if windows) and see what is consuming all that memory when you bring up the recipe editor page.

The issue is definitely with the recipe editor webpage. I tried to do a simple add ingredient while recording the activity on the webpage. The vast majority of the time was spent on 'scripting' with simple operations taking 2-3 seconds per action. There is something wacky with the 'settimeout' function. It's holding alot of resources and not properly releasing them. Whatever update was made to the frontend needs to get reversed ASAP.

Chaps

Sorry should have given some more details.
Mac OS 11.6.4
Macbook Pro 2015
Google Chrome

No issues with any other websites or any other parts of brewers friend other than recipe builder. Started happening for me about 2 weeks ago. Has been constant ever since. Reloading/restarting/clearing cache didn't help. The recipe builder website makes the browser unresponsive for about 4-8 seconds every time i click on an element such as a drop down menu or a text box.

We've found a cause for these slow downs that aren't happening to everyone, and pushed out a fix. Please let me know if anything like this happens again in the future. Thanks for the reports!

Back