Enter Grains by Percent

its an on click box, if you click the box the up and down shows up. don't pay attention to the sliders, pay attention to the percent and click the up and down until its right

its an on click box, if you click the box the up and down shows up. don't pay attention to the sliders, pay attention to the percent and click the up and down until its right
That's is what I am trying to say I don't see the arrows. If I click the grain amount box I get a cursor to change grain weight only, No arrows.

That's is what I am trying to say I don't see the arrows. If I click the grain amount box I get a cursor to change grain weight only, No arrows.

And I think that's all you're going to get. It's a bogus way to change the percent. Again, the sliders are garbage.

Last edited:
Two camps here, and I think we have different purposes. My guess is the "slider" camp wants to know the change in percentage if they change weight; alternately, they want to know the change in weight for a change of percentage. For them the sliders work fine. The "number" camp, I'd guess, is looking for a recipe calculator based on OG, volume, grist by percentage - what I'd like to see. So if I want 6 gallons of a 1.055 wort using 90% Pilsner, 8% Vienna and 2% Carapils (not a bad Koelsch, by the way), it will tell me the weights of each grain I need. I believe John Palmer runs us through the math in "How to Brew"....

Maybe I should go grab the book and finish my spreadsheet. If I could imagine my ideal implementation, it would be a "switch" in the Recipe Builder that would allow input either by weight (the way it works today, complete with sliders) or by percentage (as I described in the "numbers" sentence above).

Two camps here, and I think we have different purposes. My guess is the "slider" camp wants to know the change in percentage if they change weight; alternately, they want to know the change in weight for a change of percentage. For them the sliders work fine. The "number" camp, I'd guess, is looking for a recipe calculator based on OG, volume, grist by percentage - what I'd like to see. So if I want 6 gallons of a 1.055 wort using 90% Pilsner, 8% Vienna and 2% Carapils (not a bad Koelsch, by the way), it will tell me the weights of each grain I need. I believe John Palmer runs us through the math in "How to Brew"....

Maybe I should go grab the book and finish my spreadsheet. If I could imagine my ideal implementation, it would be a "switch" in the Recipe Builder that would allow input either by weight (the way it works today, complete with sliders) or by percentage (as I described in the "numbers" sentence above).

We already had a recipe builder that tells you the percentages if you change weight, without the clutter the sliders fall in the class of.
+1 on the number camp for me.

+1 on the numbers camp. Sliders do nothing for me. I want to enter a desired og enter grain bill % and have brewersfriend calculate the weights.

would be nice to be able to lock an item down too... eg, 75% 2row *lock*, then adjust other malts to various percentages letting the math workout... you get some odd percentages if everything is at 100% and you "add" a grain then try to make ti say 3%. It appears to take that 3% evenly out of the other grains. If you wanted some even percentages you now have to edit them all again

Some of the recipe formulation is trying to keep certain items to a percentage of the grain bill while adjusting others.

We are doing testing right now with a system I really like. Instead of sliders, you choose the percentage, and the OG, and the grains, and you get the amount. Then you can tweak it, as needed. I think it will go live in the next day or two- I’ll keep you posted.

We are doing testing right now with a system I really like. Instead of sliders, you choose the percentage, and the OG, and the grains, and you get the amount. Then you can tweak it, as needed. I think it will go live in the next day or two- I’ll keep you posted.
Now THAT's the ticket! Thanks!

Sounds great!

The nice thing about testing is of course it's easier to think about brewing when drinking a beer.

Remember the Cliff Claven "Buffalo Theory"? It works!
I do remember that! And live by it!

Back