English killing Belgian

Minbari

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I don't usually post reviews of beers i make, but felt like this one I had to.
It's a chocolate milk stout that i have made dozens of times. People give me compliments on it all the time, one of my favorites. This time I switched up and fermented it with Belgian strong ale yeast. Just wanted to see what it would do.

Turned out really good! Has a nice chocolate flavor and thick mouth feel, but it is really smooth and mild with an almost tart finish. Definitely not traditional, but good none the less.

I really love this hobby

https://share.brewfather.app/qXCqLHF3woiWVB

It's a chocolate milk stout that i have made dozens of times. People give me compliments on it all the time, one of my favorites. This time I switched up and fermented it with Belgian strong ale yeast. Just wanted to see what it would do.

Turned out really good! Has a nice chocolate flavor and thick mouth feel, but it is really smooth and mild with an almost tart finish. Definitely not traditional, but good none the less.

I really love this hobby

I have tried using 3522 with a moderate gravity beer and English hops at middle of the road fermentation temperatures. It did have both an English and a Belgian character to it. I used Pilsner because I was trying for a single, but I bet the Maris Otter is really good in that. It looks like a very cool recipe. Thanks for sharing.

I have tried using 3522 with a moderate gravity beer and English hops at middle of the road fermentation temperatures. It did have both an English and a Belgian character to it. I used Pilsner because I was trying for a single, but I bet the Maris Otter is really good in that. It looks like a very cool recipe. Thanks for sharing.
Ya, it is almost a dark belgian with an English flare. Much thicker and sweeter than Belgian with the earthy EKG in there. Plus, i run it though my stout spout and froth it up a bit.

Ya, it is almost a dark belgian with an English flare. Much thicker and sweeter than Belgian with the earthy EKG in there. Plus, i run it though my stout spout and froth it up a bit.

This is kind of what I was looking for when I created recipe for a Belgian Dark Porter earlier this year. It didn't turn out well...definitely too much roast and probably too much Special B. I might give your recipe a try. Thanks @Minbari :)

I really love this hobby

and also check out this article how to
That's wonderful to hear! It's great to experiment and switch things up with your brewing recipes to see how different ingredients or yeast strains can impact the final result. It sounds like your decision to use Belgian strong ale yeast in your chocolate milk stout was a success. The combination of the chocolate flavor, thick mouthfeel, and smoothness sounds delicious. The tart finish adds an interesting twist to the traditional stout profile, making it a unique and memorable beer. Sharing your experience and the recipe link shows your enthusiasm for the hobby and your appreciation for the outcome. It's always satisfying to receive compliments for your homebrewed beer. Keep up the experimentation and enjoy the process! Cheers!

Back