End of keg flatter and sweeter.

deeJay

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hi brewers,
been kegging (19L Corny's) for a while now and finding the last 10 - 15 pours seem to come out sweeter and flatter than the rest.
I generally up the CO2 near the end to compensate or shorten the line.
I have played around with lines based on videos and calculators and get a great pour usually until the last 10 -15
Does anyone else have this issue? Is this normal?
cheers.

Shouldn't make a difference. Pressure reg should maintain pressure all the time. What do you have it set for?

Do you set it higher to initially carb up?

Yeah maybe your burst carbing then serving at too low a pressure.

So that would result in higher carbonation at the start of the keg then as you kept on drinking the carbonation would continue to drop until equalised at the co2 volume you've got the regulator set to.

Shouldn't make a difference. Pressure reg should maintain pressure all the time. What do you have it set for?

Do you set it higher to initially carb up?
I have reg set at 12psi, keg is chilled to 4 degrees.
I pressure ferment at 10psi and use carbonation stone in keg to carbonate.
cheers.

Yeah maybe your burst carbing then serving at too low a pressure.

So that would result in higher carbonation at the start of the keg then as you kept on drinking the carbonation would continue to drop until equalised at the co2 volume you've got the regulator set to.
Hi Trailben, I dont believe I am burst carbing as I don't force carb as it is already partially carbed in the fermentor so I have the reg set at 12 psi to achieve around 2.2 - 2.5 vols carbonation for a pale ale.
I don't play with the pressure so it should be the same pour to the end ?
cheers.

Hi Trailben, I dont believe I am burst carbing as I don't force carb as it is already partially carbed in the fermentor so I have the reg set at 12 psi to achieve around 2.2 - 2.5 vols carbonation for a pale ale.
I don't play with the pressure so it should be the same pour to the end ?
cheers.
No your not.
My apologies for assuming you did:).
It seemed the most logical explanation for the keg going glat towards the end.

You keep the gas connected the whole time and on?

No leaks?

Lid O ring poppets?

I have reg set at 12psi, keg is chilled to 4 degrees.
I pressure ferment at 10psi and use carbonation stone in keg to carbonate.
cheers.
That should work, i generally use the same setting. Maybe check the gauge on the reg against another one just to make sure it is accurate.

Sweeter would be if you get some of the trub from the fermenter in the keg when filling.

No your not.
My apologies for assuming you did:).
It seemed the most logical explanation for the keg going glat towards the end.

You keep the gas connected the whole time and on?

No leaks?

Lid O ring poppets?
Yes, gas connected all the time.
I checked for leaks but found none and have recently replace all my poppets.
I have a new hazy in the keg now, about 12 pours in and tasting great, nicely carbonated.
I am going away tomorrow and back on the 19th so will be interesting to see how the beer is on return.
will keep you posted.
thanks for your input,

Sweeter would be if you get some of the trub from the fermenter in the keg when filling.
Thanks for your reply,
it wont be trub as I do closed transfer to fermenter using a float and dip tube filter kit in my allrounder fermenter so I can see it going in and always ferment a litre or so more so that I dont suck up any gunk.
cheers.

Yes, gas connected all the time.
I checked for leaks but found none and have recently replace all my poppets.
I have a new hazy in the keg now, about 12 pours in and tasting great, nicely carbonated.
I am going away tomorrow and back on the 19th so will be interesting to see how the beer is on return.
will keep you posted.
thanks for your input,
Funny I expect it to be the same if not more carbonated not the oposite.

Time will tell;)

Back